Monday, March 19, 2018

Small Haul From A Small Show

The local monthly show migrated about 8 miles north from Maugansville, MD near Hagerstown, to Greencastle, PA.  Both are about equidistant to my house.  Today I made the first trek to Greencastle.

The road there goes through a large area of farm country and blink-and-you'll-miss-'em towns, and the terrain is such that about every couple hundred yards, there is a blind hill that would launch your car off the ground if you were to stomp on it.  After a while I was losing faith that I'd end up in civilization, but it eventually did come out in downtown Greencastle right by the venue.

Anyway, it is a larger facility, so there was another row's worth of tables in the same basic arrangement - tables lining four walls with three double rows running lengthwise in the middle. 

The first purchase I made was a couple oddball cards while I was trying to get my phone to show me my want list site.  For a minute, I thought there was no reception because the pages wouldn't load, but I reconnected and they came up OK.  Would have been a major problem to be at a show without my basic lists!  I picked these two up while I straightened that out.


There are two variations of the orange (variation) of the '87 Hygrade Mantle.  One has his weight listed at 195, and one at 200.  Got the 200 version.  This is the set that never ends.  I increased my list after my friend Stuart added the variations to his wants.  The TCDB page on these is kinda screwed up.  I submitted scans and corrections when I got home.

My normal insert vendor had split his wares between two shows, so he didn't have the current insert variety I was hoping for.  I did find these '87s from another seller marked 50% off.  I passed up one or two that were over a dollar (net 50¢).  Of course, it didn't occur to me to make sure they were all different, so I ended up buying two Aledmys Diaz's.  Anyone need one?  These were just enough to make me convert my have list into a want list for this insert.  It was barely there at 49 haves, so I went ahead and listed the 51 needs.  Bloat is such a pain.


I don't know how long it took that guy to cut out and paste together all those little "$1" tags, but I applaud his effort for marketing and security.  Had to cut each card out of the penny sleeve with a razor blade.

Also knocked off some more inserts from a few different lists. 


Found a couple of the Heritage inserts I wanted, including the first of two Apollo Flashbacks for the Astronaut binder, Palmer's Flashback that I missed when I went through the set initially, and Kuhl's regular version short print.  Still looking for the three Then & Nows with Palmer and Kluber.
 Also found SP Aaron for a buck and a half, killed my Memorable Moments with Reggie, and found my favorite MLB and NHL beauty Kelly Nash.  My Leading Ladies version(s) of her will be revealed soon.  Here's a sneak preview:


Anyway, along with those, I picked up a parallel Bo Jackson that I almost knew I already had.  Verified when I got home - already there.  But extra Bo's can go to a number of other bloggers, so who's got dibs?  Gold version for a buck.  No great expenditure....


Finally, from my favorite seller at this show, as well as fellow Redskin fan (and critic), I got at least a little taste of vintage, in a couple off my '72 list.


Condition matches my set, and for about a blaster total, a nice deal.

Stay tuned for the next show loot post, where I'll share my findings from the annual show in Ephrata, PA on the 24th.  They have Tony Perez signing, and they sent me the listings for the auction ahead of time.  I'll have to review it again to see if I'll diverge from the dealer tables or not.

4 comments:

  1. Even though I'm collecting the set, I think this is the first time that I've ever seen that '72 Joe Morgan... very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How the heck did I miss the Gypsy Queen Pillars of the Community inserts back in 2015? That's one heck of a card. I'm gonna have to find a Buster for my Golden Gate Bridge PC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was drawn to the GQ Pillars as well. Very sharp! I'm a GQ fan, or have been. Not sure I'm buying this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Kelly Nash custom is a lot better than what Topps threw together. I really like the Harper, Hank Aaron, and Moon Landing cards here.

    ReplyDelete