Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Highly Substantial And Completely Awesome

An epic week of blogger trades continued with the receipt of a small package from Brian at Highly Subjective And Completely Arbitrary.  (Check out his post to promote the Secret Santa this year.)

As much fun as it is to receive cards from your top wants list, as shown in my previous post, I like to spread the love myself, especially at the big shows.  I try to take several blogger's short lists with me and see how many I can find for a reasonable cost.

One hit I got at the last Chantilly show was card #1 from 1955 Topps, Mr. James "Dusty" Rhodes, who was the first entry on Brian's list.  I found a couple of them from a favorite vintage dealer and put one on my stack.  Brought it home and sent it out to its new owner in Minnesota.  I left the original price sticker on it so Brian would have a ballpark idea of how far to go in return.

My man had to go WAY past that number, or he found some great bargain bin gems.  Check out what I got in return!


1964 Topps Yogi Berra.  A little high on the centering is the only minor deviation from perfection that I see.  This would have covered the Rhodes card by itself!


But nope, Yogi brought friends!  An even nicer Brooks Robinson....it's had a little corner abuse, but nothing that shows much now.  That white streak under his chin is exaggerated by the scan and is really just a print streak.


And he wasn't done yet!  Check this great Warren Spahn too!  One of his nicest photos.  And just as major flaw free as the others.  I was just blown away.


For an extra bonus, there was this Redskins police set still in the baggie.  I've actually got all these, but not in their original packaging.

Just goes to show you that generosity among bloggers gets paid back in spades!

Thanks isn't a strong enough term, Brian!

5 comments:

  1. Yowzie, that's some high stakes sending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn. That's a nice vintage trifecta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to beat a trade like that! Not sure how I never noticed the "Manager" designation on that '64 Berra before -- I didn't realize he'd ever managed the Yankees in the '60s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Picked up all of these from the same vendor- I do the same thing, keep a short list of trading partners and look for deals. Thanks again for thinking of me with the Rhodes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is some return! It seems like I so rarely see the '64 Yogi, that when I do, it's almost like I'm seeing it for the first time again.

    ReplyDelete