Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Need A Haircut? How 'Bout Some Hall Of Famers?

It was a typical day at work, I was working the help desk phones, but it wasn't too busy.  Then my cell phone rang.  Mom again.  I figured she probably wants to go to dinner or needs something done at the house.

She was actually at her hairdresser's shop which is actually in a house right around the corner from mine.  Her stylist got on the phone and said that her neighbor was cleaning out the possessions of their recently deceased relative and that there was a batch of baseball cards.  She would give them to Mom to drop off at the house and I could check them out and give them a few bucks if they are worth anything, but if not, it's no big deal.

When this happens, I get excited, but then come back down to earth since most of the time any stash of cards ends up being junk wax.  I pictured a stack of '87s and 1990 Topps or something.

To my delight, I was wrong!

Here's what I got, minus the quart size sandwich bag.


This looks promising!

I sifted through the stack and was pleasantly surprised that it all fell within a year range of 1969 through 1977.

Sorting them by sport...baseball first.


The '72 Kelloggs are the best ones in the whole batch.  Might be a set starter for me.  Though when I looked 'em up, there are 21 variations out of 54 cards, making a total set of 75.

Just look at all that vintagey goodness!

Then the rest...


Not nearly as much football, but a couple gems.  Yes, that's actually a '71 Johnny U.  And it's available.  A couple big names in the hockey stack too.  Can't get much better than Stan Mikita!  That mock magazine cover sticker was a stowaway.

So let's break 'em down.  Basketball first.


I've only got like three basketball sets.  '79-80 and a couple from the early 90's.  I really kinda like these though.  These are apparently '73-'74s.  Interestingly, they have a copyright date of 1969 on the backs.  If no one needs these to kill their set, I might go after them later.  Colonels and Squires? Oh my!


I recognize a few names on these '74-'75 Topps.  I know this set design a little better since it's the first one to contain Washington Capitals.  These will probably stay with me.  I don't really have a central place for vintage hockey though.  Will have to figure out where to put them.  Might have to be in one sheet with my other near complete sets of that era.


1969 Football, including a couple good quarterbacks.  A lot of pink backgrounds.  The Csonka game card is available, not sure about the others.  One day I'll build this set.  Will probably try the '68s first though.  Make me a decent trade and I'll let 'em go.


These actually are available.  So fire away!  I'm down to the higher numbers for my '71 set.  Mitchell and the '74s are kinda rough, and will go to my dupes stash too.

On to baseball.


Some Hall of Famers sprinkled in with the other fan favorites and team cards.  Unfortunately, just about all the team cards are lightly marked.

Curiously, there was nothing from 1976, except this:


Ticket stube from Memorial Stadium.  Orioles vs. the Tigers in the summer of '75, and then Milwaukee twice, in '75 and '76.


Night Owl's (and others') beloved '75s!  A few League Leaders, MVPs, and a Bench All-Star.  And Oscar Gamble with his epic 'fro.  These are pretty decent overall...


... with a couple exceptions.  Somebody likes vintage miscuts.  Who is it?


Another nice batch from '74 with Senior, Joe, Fergie, & Dave.  Two of the commons look like they had smeary magic marker notations at one point.  Can't really make it out.


The biggest stack of a sorted year.  Nice lot of '73s with Stargell, Carlton, Carew, Seaver, and Hunter boyhood photo.  There's Oscar again.  There are several duplicates including double Grabarkewitzes.  (Sounds like a wrestling move ~ "he got 'em with the double Grabarkewitz").  I remember sending the Frank Duffy card to Dinged Corners back in the day.  She had a midair players collection going, I believe.


Just a couple '72s, but decent choices.  Will have to check for upgrades since my set is middle of the road, and will also compare the one in Baylor's PC binder.  Then, have at 'em.


A few '70s.  These are a bit rough.  Trade fodder.  The concentration of Indians is notable, but there really was a balance of all the teams in this lot.  The initial stack was sorted by franchise, and then by nothing else.  The cards were jumbled otherwise.  Could have been just because they were handled a lot recently.


A really great selection of 1969 Topps.  A few of my favorite guys (and PCs) - Blair, Campy, Manny.  The Bench AS and Perry were nice inclusions, but the Seaver made me say "Wow!" out loud when I saw it.  I'll check my set for upgrades, and then these are on the block.


And finally, the oddballs.  These are the sprinkles on top of this cardboard sundae.  Have to check my player binders to see if I actually have all the complete pairs of variations.  I should, but you never know.  Then I'll have to print a list with all the notations to keep these straight.
The Palmer isn't bad, but it appears someone bent (or bit) the top right corner.  The Hostess are definitely tradeable.  They're from '75 and aren't cut the greatest, but are both intact and flat otherwise.

What a great surprise!  Not quite the monster box of mint '52s on the side of the road I dream about, but a fun find nonetheless.  Let me know if you want in on any of them that I mentioned are up for trade.

I think I'll give them a little more than a few bucks....


10 comments:

  1. That's a hell of a Stash. And if someone else doesn't ask about the miscuts, I will. Though, hang tight - I got a ton of mailing to get to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackpot! Thank goodness for hairdressers! Lots of awesome stuff in that sandwich bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice surprise haul. Rare that these type of things are 60s and 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! As I was reading this, I kept thinking "I sure hope Greg gives these people more than just a few bucks", so I was very happy to see you acknowledge that at the end.

    I probably don't have anything for them at the moment, but if no one else makes you a great offer for them, I would be interested in the '71 Unitas and Snow, as well as the Csonka game card -- but you'd have hold them aside until I can get something worthy of trade, I completely understand if that doesn't work for you though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome pickups! I'd like in on the 1969 John Brodie and the '72 Kelloggs cards. I'm pretty sure I've got a bunch of cards from your wantlist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! that's real nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, '70s oddballs, that's definitely not expected when someone says they have some cards for you. And a Winfield rookie just sitting there. That's a dream scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jealous! Very nice haul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a fantastic four-sport haul! The '69 Seaver and Bench caught my eye immediately. And the Unitas...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh dear Lord! Salivating on my keyboard now. What is the help desk number? Expecting it to short out any mome

    ReplyDelete