Friday, February 15, 2019

Inserts Into The Sky!

Back when 2017 Topps Series 1 came out, I did a post on the escalating number of inserts that have been included with the flagship set.  I just updated those charts to include the complete offerings of 2017 and 2018, and now Series 1 in 2019 Topps.

It's not getting any better.

The truth is, since my post in mid-2017, inserts have just about DOUBLED in total quantity.  Instead of inserts totaling half the base set, they have now EXCEEDED it.

                    Base                Inserts
 2015           1100                   562
2016           1000                  574
 2017           1000                 1100
 2018           1000                 1203
                                2019           1000*               1500+???*      *-projected



In the original chart, you can see that since 2008, total inserts had risen and floated at about 600 plus or minus, for several years.


The same chart, updated for the last few years, shows the explosion.  The same 600 card level is now dwarfed by the totals for 2017 & 2018.

The number of insert sets included with flagship & update have been rather steady since 2015, hovering between 20 and 25.  Topps could cut this number down a few more if they would have made the Salutes and the 80's tributes separate products like they should have been, but then the tributes would have competed directly with Archives and Heritage and become totally pointless.


The average cards per insert set has also leveled off at just over 50.  This doesn't really show the real story, though.  It's the first few largest sets that have been growing.  With a few exceptions, 100 and 150 count inserts were commonly the highest per year, with only one or two examples in a typical issue.  The last two years, the largest sets have been 250.  And in 2019, we already have one that will be at least 300.

The insanity doesn't end there, though.  Oh no, my friends.  The other development that has made the potential totals increase exponentially - INSERT PARALLELS!

In 2015 and 2016, Topps made First Home Runs and MLB Debuts - in three different colors or foils.  So a true master set may technically consist of all three colors.  This adds another 210 cards to 2015, and another 160 to 2016.  (They didn't repeat the MLB Debuts in Update.)


Then, in 2017, they added Blue, Red, Gold, and maybe even Silver as parallel sets for the inserts.  The Gold parallels were generally serial numbered to ten, so I didn't count them in this survey.  That's just way too scarce.  And the Silver only shows up once in the list on TCDB, and I haven't seen any, so I let them go too.  Blue & Red were enough to triple the numbers by themselves.


2018 even surpassed those numbers.  Blue, Black, Gold, and Red appeared.  Reds were again numbered to ten.  Golds went up to 50, and Black was /299, but from what I've seen, this is not consistent.  Some inserts sets have both blue and black unserialized parallels, like the LIM's above.

So basically if you add up all the parallels to the regular inserts, the 2017 totals go from
1100 to 1392

for the unserialized colors, and then if you add in the ones that are serialized to 299, 50, or 10 you are at a grand total of
1542

2018 starts at 1203 (again on top of only a 1000 card base set), and goes to
2846 

when you add the unnumbered parallels.  If you go for all the serialized ones too, you'd have to put together
4902 cards!

I've gotten used to storing my flagship sets and inserts in a two row shoe box.  I think I'll give up before I'd ever think about amassing the entire master set and having to put it in it's own 5000 count monster box!

And I would guess that it's just going to continue into 2019.  The numbers will probably be even larger.

But guess what?  Now Topps isn't putting as many inserts into their packs!  I don't know how the ratios compare between the same packaging for this year versus the last few, but you're going to have to buy more to get the same numbers - which have now increased again!  Whether it's boxes and packs, or just dropping cash at dealer secondary market tables, it's going to cost more to finish the Topps set.

Set collectors are in the minority.  There aren't many customers that are willing to do this.  So why is Topps bloating these out so much?  What part of the collector audience are they thinking that they're attracting by making more and more parallel inserts and making them harder to get?

I know I'm not it.

Well, maybe just for my couple collected players....

8 comments:

  1. Topps is milking collectors and this hobby for everything the can get. It's a shame. They had something good with the recent rookie card craze... but will end up scaring off all of those new collectors with an outrageous number of inserts/parallels. Will there be loyal and longterm collectors around after the fallout? Sure. I'll be there. But I'll be treating all of the crappy inserts they've been producing these past 5 or 6 years like my old 92 Donruss base cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not collecting any of these sets, but I sure do enjoy seeing these graphs that you put together for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're thinking about box breakers and that's about it. I know I'm starting to pull away from inserts the way I did with relics. In another year, I won't care about any inserts, not even for my team. No want lists, nothing. If I get one, whatever. Nice job Topps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You nailed it. The hobby base is getting smothered.

      Delete
    2. But, with their being less inserts in each pack/box are they really catering to the box breakers?
      I love building sets and I find it challenging and even more fun to build a master set, but any set that has more insert cards than base will keep me away.
      Lastly, as far as base cards are concerned: does anyone else get the feeling we are entering a new "junk wax" era?

      Delete
  4. Freaking crazy and ridiculous. I have a Blog-Bat-Around I just posted. Would love to hear your thoughts! You are the hobby base!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I like your label of "set bloat". That one might catch on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is the first year I've sworn off all flagship purchases. I'll pick up my boys along the way but ZERO pack/box purchases. I left the hobby in 2002 because it wasn't fun anymore. Too much product. I couldn't keep up, didn't know what to buy. Your charts are telling. Thanks for sharing this information. It's easy money for Topps. They do not care about the hobby/collectors but cater to the gambling portion of the population who flip for cash.

    ReplyDelete