Monday, February 04, 2019

No Barber Service, But More Ball Cards

Went in to my LCS the other week to pick up a couple 5000 count boxes to consolidate some sets and clear some shelf space.  Of course, I ended up leaving with some bonus stuff.

You'll recall the "stylist stash" I got from my mom's hairstylist a little while ago.  Bruce at PrimeTime had a couple long boxes of mixed vintage baseball and football left over from a collection he got.  It was really the same range of sets as my other batch, but in greater volume. 


There was much more football than baseball.  No late 60's this time, but a big bulk lot of 70's.  And mostly in pretty decent shape.


I initially started looking through and found some of the 1971 Topps stars that I lack for my set.  I pulled out OJ and a couple more, but Bruce asked if I wanted the whole shebang....


Who was I to refuse?  He quoted a price and home they came.  Narrowed my '71 set down to about a third of what I was missing before.  And upgraded several singles too.  Basically left me with a very large starter set.  Sorry, most of the guys shown here went to my binder.


There was also a large contingent from 1970.  Guess which set I just started?  There are extras, though.


Not to mention some nice '72s.  Even some in the higher numbers.  I filtered these in with some others I had already.  I have a decent pile of dupes for this set available too.


Who's doing '73?  I'm already finished and went through mine for upgrades.


Now baseball.  I'll start at the recent end.  Pretty much everything baseball in this bunch is trade bait.  A few '75s for the dupes box....


A few '72s including some team cards, rookies and checklists.  Nettles is a high number.


A smattering of '70, but a couple good names.  Mel looks OK on the front, but the back is kinda hideous.

A short disclaimer on the baseball.  You can tell this box sat open in a damp basement for a very long time.  A lot of the cards are stained and/or curled or wavy.  Anything you're interested in, I can send better scans.


These 69's are a little rough, but passable.  Yes, that is Clemente and Gibson.  How 'bout a better look at those?

 

They're pretty rough, but if someone needs a cheap filler, lemme know.



A few decent 73's.  There's that Clemente guy again.  If it wasn't for the bite out of the bottom edge, he'd be clean.  I'm good with '73, so he can be yours.


I'm kinda jumping around with the years here, but this is why.  The bulk of the baseball was this big stack of 1971 with its share of warps and stains.  But there's some big names in here.


You can tell they're a bit weathered.  Especially compared to the football stacks.


Which sat much flatter. The '71 stack is what's left after I pulled out all the ones I needed.


There were a few bonus cards too.  These well loved Kellogg's.  Nice names in mediocre shape.


Some very pink hoops.  Think I've heard of Bing...


And finally, some hot rods and bikes cards that are on their way to Billy Kingsley.

Still a pretty decent haul for the price of 2½ blasters.  Whatch'all need?

5 comments:

  1. All of that was only $50? That is crazy! I might need to start making a few trips over to your part of the country, deals like this might even be able to get me to start thinking about collecting sets again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was a pretty sweet haul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Vintage baseball is the #1 thing I'm looking for when I hit my local flea markets. Nice find buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, congrats on another fine haul! I inventoried my '71 Topps football cards and need 42 to finish the set. I'll be sending you my wantlist soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just sent a trade feeler via email. LMK

    ReplyDelete