Friday, February 22, 2019

Sick Days, eBays, and Maildays

The big snowfall that hit the eastern US this past week (from Oklahoma to Ohio and east to DC and Baltimore, down to Tennessee) brought early closings to Maryland schools, including the district I work for.  So I was excited Tuesday night to stay up late and have the next day off to catch up on laundry and card business, including blog posts.


Well, that all went south when I woke up Wednesday morning with what I guess has to be called "flu-like symptoms".  Basically, I couldn't sit up or move around for very long without feeling sick and having to lie down.  That lasted into Thursday, though it had subsided enough that the sick feeling went away for the most part.  I made it to work today (Friday), and still felt a trace of it until after lunchtime.


So I haven't done much of anything for a few days.  I did manage to pack up a couple trade packages, and am waiting on a couple more addresses.

Meanwhile, the loot keeps rolling in.  I'll post a couple blogger packages in the next couple days.  Today I'd like to show off a minor eBay purchase.

At one point, I had COMC, SportLots, and eBay all open at the same time last weekend, or maybe it was Monday the holiday.  Anyway, I have a COMC order coming, which I finally managed to fill out with oddball stuff that was more expensive on the other sites.  Of course, I ended up filling out the SportLots order too, after a few items of similar subject matter turned up there.  And in between, I picked up these things...


The first is set #34 of 1989 Topps/LJN Baseball Talk cards.  If you don't know these, they are oversize cards that have a circular etching of sorts pasted on the back.  This etching is like a phonograph record (millenials will have to Google it) that plays back audio when inserted in the custom player that was sold separately.


Found the set for the same price I was seeing Fisk for by himself, so I went for it. The others in the set are available as trade bait.  Pete Rose, Dave Parker, and Rick Sutcliffe are on the block.
Then, of course, you have to add items to ease the shipping cost.  So I picked up a cheap baseball auto for a player collector I know, and then found these...


That's Gus Frerrotte, Heath Shuler, Mark Moseley, and Skip Hicks.  Redskins veterans from pretty much the 80's through 1999.  They aren't certified, except for Hicks, but they looked fine to me.  And the price was right....


With combined shipping, they weren't even close to a buck apiece.  Sorry vine_jay, you did everything right, but didn't make a whole lot of profit on that one.  But I thank you.


5 comments:

  1. I truly feel like the 1989 Topps/LJN Baseball Talk set is one of the most underrated sets from the 80's. The taller size allowed for some really nice action shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so tired of Snow Days. Ugh. Can't wait for spring.
    Love the cute picture of the pooch with the penguin.
    And, what a steal on the Redskins autos. Nice luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having all three of those sites open at the same time sounds like such a you thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what happens when you have no life otherwise...

      Delete
  4. If you are in Maryland we might be close , I'm in York PA about 53 miles north of Baltimore

    ReplyDelete