Thursday, March 07, 2019

Epic Mailday - Part Four

The next part of the perpetual parade of pasteboard purchases is the first of a pair of SportLots orders.  While comparison shopping for the COMC purchase earlier, looking for cards on my miscellaneous and non-sport page, I found a seller on SportLots that had a nice selection of my golf inserts from 2002 Upper Deck.  Of course, you can't just submit a small order on there, you have to max out the number of cards the seller will ship at a reasonable shipping price, so a couple days later I went back in and added to my cart.


Killed all my Green Rooms, and cut down the others to where I can at least put names to the last five or six.  Most started out as the majority of the numbers up to 25 or so.  Upper Deck's golf cards are always very elegantly designed, as it should be for this sport, usually with a predominately green theme like you see here.  Their graphics can be intense, but almost never overwhelm the photos or the overall visual appeal.  I don't follow golf as much as I used to, but I still like these sets from the early 2000s.  Once I kill the other three inserts, though, my list will be blank.  The SP sets always gave me the impression that they were a lot tougher to do, though I think I know one out of state shop that might have base sets tucked away in a back room.

 
 

While filling out orders on SportLots, I basically search a particular seller's inventory for anything on my want lists.  So I moved over to my hockey page and found some of the last few 1981-82 Topps, 2006-07 Powerplay, 2007-08 Ultra, 2013-14 Score and 2017-18 OPC for sets.  Threw in the red Carlson for the Caps box.



Then I dove into my newly added late 80's Capitals team sets list and knocked off a few including a couple stickers.  Most years, those number "helmet" stickers have variations where the number is on top or bottom of the team logo.


Moving on to two of my football player collections - Priest Holmes and Richie Anderson.  They span the entirety of the 2000's with the 2001 Fleer Tradition, NFL Showdowns for both guys from 2001 First Edition, and the Select and Panini from 2017.


Also hit some Bo Jackson post-career cards from the last few years.  These are so similar that they all tend to look the same.  Makes it tough to determine if I have them or not without physically checking the binder, since I don't catalog them any other way.

 

Of course, Bo will transition to baseball as well, and in this case, even archery.  I've seen a lot of those Chronicles singles, but hadn't looked real close until this one.  Might have to investigate these further, they're more interesting than shows at first glance.

 
 

Was all over the place with baseball singles, either for PCs or set hits.  A lone Piniella that didn't appear in the batch from COMC.  2010 Verlander kills my base set.  The GQ AJ is just a card I liked the look of - he's not actually a PC, nor did I do that set or inserts.  The last two are just singles off big set lists.  I usually wouldn't bother with onesy twoseys like this, but this particular seller tended to only have a handful from certain products, but I usually needed a couple of those few, so I clicked 'em in my cart for under a quarter each.


These 2005 Donruss Champions took my list down to ten cards for all 450.  These are the consummate "leave a blank space on the base card for the relic" crap design element, but I'm still fond of them.  For a while, the stack I had was great trade bait, and then I turned around and decided to build them myself, so I probably traded for a lot of the same ones I had shipped out earlier.


Further destruction to what is becoming one of my favorite Heritage sets, (and revving my desire to build the original too) 2011 Heritage.  Got the last couple checklists to fill out all five.  Not sure how I feel about buying checklists just like regular cards, but since these were really thick, quality stock, I guess it's worth it.  I also tried to get one of the last 2007 Bowman Heritage set checklists, but the seller sent the one from the Prospects subset instead.


Finally, to of the better inserts from 2013 Hometown Heroes, the Nicknames, complete with representative cartoons.  I'll refer to Andre by Hawk Dawson, but I still think of Ken Harrelson first.

Next time, the other half of my SportLots order.  And then I promise, the gluttony will subside a bit.

2 comments:

  1. So this was epic mailday part "Fore!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! Clever comment above from EP. Also, those Topps/OPC hockey helmet stickers are the best.

    ReplyDelete