Tuesday, March 05, 2019

Epic Mailday - Part Two

Continuing the chronicle of my buying and trading binge that all showed up last week.  Not even skipping days this week.  Non-stop loot 'til Friday!

This time - the COMC order.


It's all her fault.  Leading off, 2016 Goodwin Champions Melissa Baker auto and short print base.  I started out this whole thing looking for the parallels and minis to regular card #50, which is the same sexy shot as in the autograph card here.  There is an inscripted auto, and a relic version that nobody had for cheap, so that's still on the list.  The other card's picture above is cute too, so I threw it in just to have one.  She's actually got a third card in the set, which I have the base, but it's not quite as nice a shot.


Here are the minis I got.  The Magician metal (/16) one is the picture from the other card.  It's really silver foil but scanned blue.  I have two more to find of the first photo - the metal and the wood (/8).  They were on there, but just too expensive for my taste.  That's why I had the other sites open.  The gold is the base mini, then the canvas, the Lady Luck back, and the Royal Red.


Keeping with non-sports, I found all the logo variations for these Pro Set Musicards.  These all have versions with the logo in the opposite (upper left) corner.  I only collect the hard rock bands from this set, so I'm done with series 1.  Most of these were close to a buck each, which is a lot for this set, but I figured it was worth it to find them.


There are several series 2 cards that I haven't seen yet, starting with this one of the first artist I ever bought music by with my own money.  Couldn't pass up the adorable Sheena.


Rounding out the musical selections, here are three blue parallels to the regular Heroes cards - some of which I still need.  These were also about a buck a shot, which was the same as the regular ones.  I figured the regulars should be cheaper, so I took them out of my cart and just got the blues.


Also on the non-sports front, the regular and bonus foil edition of the Topps 75th Anniversary cards that commemorate the 1969-70 Man On The Moon set that I finished (in mixed form) this past year.  These reprint card #50 from the set with the well-known portrait of Neil Armstrong.  Still have to watch the First Man movie I bought from Amazon that is about him.


Minis from 2013 Golden Age finishing up the non-sports segment of our program.  The Apollo 11 lunar module card has several parallels, three of which I knocked off here.  I scanned both sides of the blue one, so I actually got three - just composited the picture here.


 Picked up one of my player guys from the 2012 set as well.  These were the first rainbows I started looking for.  I'll come back to Tenace later.


Also in that vein, I got four Dave Kingman minis from the 2014 Golden Age set.  A similar lineup, but different brand names.  I have a couple other rainbows that I'll be looking for from this set too - Dusty Baker, Steve Yeager, and Catherine Bach, whose poster I had on the wall as a young man.  The autographs from this set are exquisite.


More oddball PC goodness.  Pristine Kingman in college duds, Sonic Campy oddball, and Sapphire Blue shiny Chad Kuhl.


Some throwback fun with Charlie Keller.  That's not actually his 1948 Bowman, but a 1976 promo card show reprint.  They go by HRT/RES for the names of the promoters, or they're also called Taylor/Schmierer.
An interesting and very collectible set patterned after the original 1948 Bowman baseball card series is this "1947" edition produced by Ted Taylor (HRT) and Robert Schmierer (RES) to promote their Philadelphia Area sports memorabilia and baseball card shows in 1976-1977. Made in the same size and style, and from similar clay-based cardboard as the original Philadelphia gum company's product (1948 Bowman baseball), the Taylor/Schmierer edition was billed as The Set That Never Was.
The other is a 1971 Laughlin World Series card.  I still need the 1939 one with Keller on it too.  I was a little lucky to find one so well centered for cheap.  These are a favorite of a lot of collectors.


Knocked off a couple more modern oddballs with these two Obak Tom Cheneys.  Also found one that wasn't on my list - a TCMA set of the 1960 champion Pirates. 

Rounding out the major league portion of the baseball is this Starting Lineup Jerry Royster.  My friend Stuart has sets of these, and always likes to get them autographed.  The signers rarely know what they actually are.

That's Luis Tiant in a Dodger uniform all right, but it's for the Gulf Coast Dodgers of the rookie level league that operates in Florida.  My first minor league card of one of my prime player collections.

Minor league coach and manager cards are another group I was persuing hard on this order.  There are a whole lot more of them for my PC guys on COMC, but they tend to be marked at several dollars apiece, which is overpriced in my mind.  Especially since I have about an eight page list that I'm looking for.


More PC guys as managers.  Bailor is one of the more prolific minor league skippers I collect.  Feels like he may have almost as many minor league cards as he did when he played.

The all-time Angel Jim Fregosi in a minor and major league leadership role.  The Coke White Sox is from 1988.


Ramped up my Pete Richert post-player collection with these four.  He just looks like he's having fun year after year.


These two aren't actually manager cards, but they're players.  Pookie never made it to the majors.  And Kemp, after many years with the Tigers, went to the White Sox, Yankees, Pirates, up and down with the Rangers around '86 when this card was made, and finally the short-lived Senior League.


Probably doubled my post-career/manager collection of Lou Piniella with this order.  Found all these Mother's Cookies, Keebler's, and miscellaneous oddballs for between 75¢ and $1.25.  The Crown Orioles also kills all my PC guys from that huge set.



Also piled in a partial rainbow of Rookie Cup Lous with this serialized quartet.  This is a really neat set even with the simple design.  They're just too numerous, expensive and hard to find.



And finally, ol' Gene Tenace leads this foursome of oddball singles from the 2010 National Ethnic Heritage Foundation Sons Of Italy set.  100 cards of nothing but Italian dudes.  An interesting aspect of players as cultural individuals.  Still looking for Larry Bowa and Joe Torre.  Might add on Buttercup Dickerson since he doesn't appear to have any other cards.

I finally found enough on COMC to justify and order, instead of going with SportLots for the same things.  But like I mentioned last post, I went there too.  Stay tuned to the Loot Channel for our next parade of pasteboard!

5 comments:

  1. Love that Luis Tiant minor league issue! And the Melissas are lovely. I've considered buying a Paige Spiranac card from A&G but they're too grainy. Maybe if she was in the Goodwin set..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good choice. I've got an extra base card if you need one.

      Delete
  2. Mother's Cookies cards + Pro Set Musicards = Happiness

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the variety! I picked up the complete Sons of Italy set years ago mostly for the Ron Santo card but there are a lot of others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That certainly was an epic order! You can never go wrong with Golden Age. And I've never seen those Rookie Cup cards before, now I gotta go see who else is on the checklist.

    ReplyDelete