Monday, March 18, 2019

Sunday Show Loot

Made it back to the monthly show at Greencastle this morning.  Got there about 9:30, so I didn't miss to much hunting time.  Was over at my friends' til late last night, so I was a little slow early in the AM.  A light haul for me, but some interesting oddballs and a few bargains.


First up, I filled out a bunch of my 2019 flagship.  Tough to do from a monster box that only had a few runs that were in order.  I didn't carry my list binder with me today, so I was just eyeballing the numbers from my phone off the website.  I got enough that I could put names on the list and only got one I didn't need.  I can snag the rest in two weeks at back to back shows Saturday and Sunday.  Then I can actually write down and cross off the last ones as I go.

Also capped off my pending completion of the snowflake set with the Baez.

These are from my usual insert dealer who was talking about how Topps is trying to change the value of their flagship and other sets and inserts, but is only hurting dealers and collectors.  He broke two cases of Heritage with another guy and they didn't finish two sets of short prints among them.  And there are inserts that they never got and had to buy individually.  Not a big problem when they're average players, but he needed Judge and the like.  Two of his big collector buyers have dropped out of the game completely because of all the changes to the distribution and availability of new stuff.  I said I can see myself skipping flagship etc. too in the next couple years since I don't care nearly as much about new players and the Topps offerings are so hard to finish both cost-wise and with the new ratios of inserts an useless parallels.


Also found another dealer with consistent 25¢ inserts and cleared a bunch of these International Affairs from 2018 Update.  Put names on the remaining half dozen too.  Kept seeing a rainbow foil flavor of these.  Not sure if that's from Chrome or is another stupid parallel.


Sorry for the excessive desk space.  I didn't crop these photos after I shrunk them out of the camera.  This is the bulk of my Heritage purchases this year - only player collection stuff.  Still need a Torre Then & Now, and another space Flashback.


Some cool oddballs from my most familiar vendor Steve.  1971 Supers for a couple bucks each, the other Laughlin World Series for Charlie Keller (a bit o/c, but can't complain much for $2), another Laughlin card that I didn't know about until I saw it - All-Star Bobby Bonds from '74.  The set is numbered 33 through 73 by corresponding year.  The '79s are for Gavin at BBCB.


Gotta shift to other sports before I show the bargains.  Some of these are probably at regular price, but I just grabbed 'em while I could.  The Dryden leaves only Phil Esposito for the '72-'73 Topps set, and Mr. Hockey narrows my '79-80 down to Stan Mikita and the white whale Gretzky rookie.  I've got a long way to go on the '75-'76 set, but these two seemed a bit lower priced than average.  The '70 football fit my set being slightly imperfect.


A few more from Steve's football section.  Picked out the cheapy '71 game cards.  Still some more expensive stars to hunt for discounts later.  I saw the black name Rentzel, but didn't realize it was the 'b' version until I found the red version in his $1 each binder, so I went back and snagged it.  Just have to find the black name version of Calvin Hill too.


OK, now to the blowout sale items.  One dealer up front who usually has a really eclectic amalgamation of stuff in what feel like real shoe (or boot?) boxes, and strange penny sleeves, had all his stuff at one price.  I rounded out my purchases to an even number with the last couple RG3's here.  His cards haven't completely tanked, but this time, they were dirt cheap.


Back to baseball, these big names from the Immortals set usually go for a couple bucks elsewhere.  Not today.  The Mays caught a little glare in the photo.


Started a new Cal Ripken set from there too.  Not sure what these usually run, but it wasn't that much....


And finally, all these were in the same batch too.  Nothing earth-shattering here, but the McGwire Flashbacks are not only standard at three dollars plus, they're exceedingly hard to find.  I bought these two blind and needed one.  (I can fill in it's picture on the TCDB with the rest that I put up earlier).  The Heritage inserts turned out to be the '55 year, and not '54 that I'm working on, so if you need them, let me know.  The Fisk is one of the two out of five that I already had too.  Never seen those SportFlics before.

So to end the suspense (to those few that got all the way down here.... Every card shown here starting from the Robert Griffins was TEN CENTS!

Going to see the Capitals beat up on the Flyers next Sunday, and then the week after that there are shows in Ephrata, PA, and Chantilly, VA.  Both about an hour or so in opposite directions from here.


8 comments:

  1. Baseball Immortals for ten cents? You, my friend, are living right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only one card away from completing the '72-73 Topps hockey set? Wow, that's going to be a pretty big accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great value and cards. I like the McGwire cards. Love the randomness you can find at card shows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Immortals, man, I'd just love to see some at a card show for any price, let alone 10 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good stuff! Check out those sideburns on Joe Torre...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must be close / semi close to me , I am in York PA about 35 minutes from Ephrata , there's a card show in Harrisburg PA this weekend I plan on hitting up. I also just last night started work on my TCDB , it was fun and I'll be doing more tonight on there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm between Gettysburg and Frederick. I'll be in Ephrata on the 30th for that show, and then in Chantilly on Sunday.

      Delete
  7. Lots of nice pickups and nice prices too! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete