Monday, November 12, 2018

New Player Collection

As if I needed another player collection.  I already have 60+ baseball guys from the 60's to the 80's and a few outliers, plus all the other sets, teams, etc. I've got going.  But I couldn't resist.  This guy has a very limited, though somewhat specialized catalog, so it might be a little tough.  But with a name like this, how can I not?


Picked up these two Pookie Bernstines in my last SportLots order.  Came across him browsing the listinge for other minor league cards of my players and others' set lists.


From his stat sheet, he never apparently made it to the show.  He has ten total cards, all minor league.  Half of them are Coach cards.  This '89 Peoria Chiefs card uses "CH" as the abbreviation for Coach.  Don't they know it's supposed to be CO?


Here's the rest of his catalog.  I'll probably have to pick these out online later, but would love to trade for any of them you have to spare.  Maybe I'll put the '86 ProCards on the back of the nine pocket page so then all his cards will fit in one.

"Pookie" is fun enough, but the incongruity of the last name puts it over the top.  Stereotypes are bad, but you'd expect a guy with that name to look more like Mel Brooks than Denard Span.  Or at least if it was Bernstein.


6 comments:

  1. Awesome name. My closest of friends would call me "Pookie" back in the day... since everyone else would call me Fuji.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YO.... that is Pookie... Cub Farmhand....stepped into Batting Practice 1st day....of Minor League Spring Training at Fitch Park....Down the street from HOHoKam ...Mesa.....wanted No Part...of a young Cub Pitcher. . whose Ball was moving All over.....inside...outside....the Cub Debut....of One Greg Maddux.....witnessed it.....Cuno Barragan....Catcher.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is my best friend. I have known him for over 20yrs now. His brother is rod Bernstein from San Diego chargers then got traded to Denver broncos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pookie used to sing with me when he played for the Icubs. Do you know where he is now. I would love to reconnect. Tell him Taz would like to talk to him.

      Delete
  4. My wife and I both remember fondly pookie playing for the Iowa Cubs. Everyone loved him and the old wooden grandstand would shake violently from people stomping their feet. I have collected his local memorabilia for years. Glad to know I'm not alone in my pookie quest.

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recall Pookie playing for the Pittsfield Cubs in the summer of ‘85. At the time, they would give “Cub Stubs” for free admission the next day if the team lost. Pookie let a ground ball go through him to lose the game late one day. The next day I walked into a mostly empty stadium while the team took fielding practice. I remember yelling “Hey Pookie, thanks for the Cub stubs” and seeing his head drop. Sorry Pookie.

    ReplyDelete