Friday, August 19, 2022

My Extended Vacation

My silence the last couple weeks was planned.  I left on vacation overnight on Monday the 25th of July for the west coast.  Second year in a row, but this time it wasn't to buy a car.

I've got family that live in the Sierra Foothills.  It was nice reconnecting with them and some other cousins from the Northwest area.


They're up in the Gold Rush country in Calaveras County.  It was over 100° several days.  But I liked that better than 90° and high humidity over here in the East.

They're just down the road from the Big Trees State Park.  Pretty impressive.

Managed to find a few cards in an antique store in one of the little towns we visited.  Ruth and the Cubs were the same price.  There was a whole 16" long box os HOFers and stars.  There are a lot of card shops back near Stockton, but I was too far away.

Saw a lot of stuff about the Gold Rush era and how they lived and got around in the late 1800's.

Including the steam trains that are still running.  They use these in a lot of movies and television shows.  This particular one was in Back to The Future III.  We were also in Columbia Park, which is a period town that is preserved largely as it was and was also used in the movie.

We had a layover in Vegas on the return flight.  I stopped in the Raider Nation store while my uncle played a few machines.

I suspect that stop is what led to the rest of my time off...

About three days after I came back, I was home from work and had gone to the grocery store (masked).  I put everything away and went to lay down.  About 6 pm, I tried to get up, but the room was spinning so hard I couldn't walk.  I struggled to move downstairs to try to eat something, but it just wasn't getting any better.  Sparing you the gory details, I got sick a few times and finally called for an ambulance about 10 o'clock.  

They gave me something for the dizziness and sent me for a CT scan. I had told them I hadn't been tested for COVID in a while and had just traveled.  It turned out positive.  I stayed overnight for observation and felt a lot better after a couple days.  I've been home on ten day quarantine ever since.  Today is the last day.  I just did a home test and it came out negative.👍

The upside of my quarantine is that I finally had a chance to binge watch Star Trek: Discovery so I can then get on board with ST: Strange New Worlds.  I'm on Season 2.  I have the first two seasons on Blu-Ray disc.  For the seasons after that, I'll use Paramount streaming.

Have just now started reading blogs again.  I had a trade or two in the works, but I won't start handling too many cards until next week when I'm free & clear of the virus.

I'm pretty sure all of my submitted cards are now on sale on COMC.  I've sold 18 cards so far for a total of about $66, and I spent last night picking out cards I need that they can ship me.  It went up to the wire (August 11 deadline) for them to get everything up, even though the last bunch was from the same sets that went up earlier.  I really don't understand their process. But for now, I'll just see how much I can move before they start charging me for storage.

I am not looking forward to getting up early Monday morning....

10 comments:

  1. Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like (most of) your vacation was fun. Glad you are negative again and made it through ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you don't have any long-term effects.

    I quite enjoyed Strange New Worlds. It harkens back to the older Trek series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're recovering ok. The Sierra Foothills look nice from your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are doing better. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for sharing the pics, hope you feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're feeling better. I really need to drive up to Calaveras County. Looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you got to see some sights and got over The Virus too! Seems like you got a tougher strain that what's going around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't heard of anyone having such a strong reaction to the various weaker strains that currently circulating. I guess you were just lucky. Sounds like a pretty awesome trip though. I'm starting to think that I'd like to live in a more deserty area someday. Somewhere more remote as well.

    On a semi-related note, now that I know you're home, I can send out the cards that we talked about. Hopefully that'll provide you a few seconds of distraction when they arrive :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm also glad to hear you are doing better!

    ReplyDelete