Sunday, February 12, 2023

The Crown Jewels Of A Database Trade

It's about an hour and a half until the Super Bowl kicks off this evening and I'm avoiding the television but still sitting behind a screen as usual.  Been making some great trades on the Trading Card Database site, but this will be the first loot post for one of those.  

This batch was part of a trade with user CFoster11_23 that also included a lot of baseball list hits and Washington football singles from my wants.  I selected just under 250 cards, and sent 386.  That's the kind of trade I like, though I need to move out a lot of stuff, so if the ratio was higher, I don't mind a bit.

I shipped two major batches from the same sets off - 2015 Score football and 2019 Topps baseball.  I got this killer starter for 1998 Pacific Crown Royale baseball.

Nope that's just the beginning....

Ka-Blam!  I only need about 22 cards for the rest of the base set.  

While looking at these on the Database, I noticed the images were only at about 70%.  I figured I might as well try to fill them in, but I knew these wouldn't drop through my bulk scanner very well.  Boy, these are tough to scan even on a flatbed!  With only one straight edge, you have to align them with the edges of the glass plate.  And then the middle is open, so I put a regular card against the edge and lined up one CR card and then slid the other card away.  Not easy to keep them from moving.  Then you have to flip them over and do it again!  I got the first few dozen done and had to quit.  Will revisit that later.

Here's what the backs look like.  Those straight sections low on the sides aren't 90° angles either.

They do look cool all stacked up together.  Almost makes a 3-D crown.

Believe it or not, I got inserts too!  And two of them are complete sets!

These All-Stars are nice looking.  And how's THAT for fancy die-cutting? 

I'm sure these get beat to hell in the wild.  It'll probably be fun finding the other 17 with the points intact.


The whole set of Diamond Knights - which is only printed under the secondary photo on the back.


All of these cards are shiny like Pacifics generally were.

This was back in the late 90's when Roy Firestone was a prominent journalist.  There are 26 of these.

The other complete stack are the Pillars Of The Game.  Silver shiny in big doses.

Finally, there are these game-looking cards - Home Run Fever. 

Never seen this before, but if you press a thumb on the spots...

They reveal the numbers behind.  But it's not permanent like a scratch-off....

I opened the window and let the cool air flow across it, and they turned black again.  Cool!

My wants are up on the Baseball tab.  Will definitely be putting these in pages and a binder.  

How many of you like die-cut and ornate Pacific products?

7 comments:

  1. Oooh, those Home Run Fever are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that stack of die cut crowns. I only have a couple from the hockey sets so I can't do that yet... hopefully someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great looking set build... and that Home Run Fever insert is super cool. I'll have to check out who else is on the checklist and possibly add one to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been crazy about Pacific's cards (too much gold bling) but the stack is cool. I've never seen that many of those things all in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was some trade, and certainly one of the better ones that I've seen the results from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like those Crown Royale sets. I'm working on the '95 FB set and wish I had 'discovered' them sooner.

    ReplyDelete