Saturday, September 26, 2020

Impulse Engines Are Back Online

 Well, the ol' Collective drive system is still leaking plasma, but hasn't completely ceased running yet.  I've managed to go the entirety of September with one total post.  Like I said last time, it's not that my collecting interest is waning, it's just that my work schedule has been so random, and I've fallen into the routine of waking up, working, coming home (in the middle or at the end), and turning on "the news" (PTI) and whatever follows, and going to bed, repeating the same the rest of the week.  Hasn't been all dull and routine, with some side work here and there and keeping in touch with friends.

The purchases that I mentioned previously are all in now.  I have only put away a small fraction of the earliest ones, so I recorded the rest to show here.  It's a lot, so I'll at least finish the month with a few posts before it's all gone, even if they're the "Looky what I got" type that seems to be falling out of fashion lately.

I'll jump right in and show what seems to be the most anticipated one from my preview.

This came out of the package and I thought, "Did I get the wrong shipment?"

But when I opened it...

Ah Ha!  The 1976 Star Trek set!

I was very thankful for this purchase, not only because it was a great example of the set, but the price was a lot lower than a few previous efforts.  I had tried to submit offers to other eBay sellers, but was ignored multiple times.  One seller had it for $140.  I think I offered like $115, and didn't get any answer either time I tried.  No rejection, no counter offer, and no notice that the seller was away. Just crickets.  If you're not willing to deal with offers that aren't your full price, then don't put the option in your auctions, people!

This set is fully documented on the Database at the link above, so I won't scan and show my whole set, but here are some of my favorites.

Card #1, the shot of the Enterprise from the show opening sequence.  Each card has the little yellow Enterprise by the caption.  Guess they could've had a little figure corresponding to the subject that represented the crew, aliens, or other things kinda like '73 and '04 Topps baseball.

City On The Edge Of Forever - starring a young Joan Collins - was written by Harlan Ellison.  Regarded as one of (if not the) best episodes of any in the three seasons.

Parallel Spock from the Mirror, Mirror episode, one of my personal favorites.  Even as a conquerer, Spock has the cooler head and does what's right.  And the goatee just works...

The rare appearance for the "space suits" in what is my #1 episode, The Tholian Web.  The suspense just keeps building in this one.  The captain is surely lost and the rest of the ship is about to fall to hostile aliens.  Very well done show.

Here's the back of one of the cards.  Nice that they include the show title where appropriate on the bottom right.  Just wish the numbers were a skosh bigger.

Now that I have the set, I just need to find a good deal on the 22 stickers!

And just because I downloaded it to put on the outside of the binder, here's what a wax box looks like...

4 comments:

  1. This was/is such a great set. I've got a few cards from the '67 Leaf set, but have still yet to get any from this one. Sounds like the set prices have gone up too, I certainly don't remember them being that high the last time I looked (probably a few years ago now).

    Also, since you mentioned a few of your favorite episodes, I thought I'd throw a few of mine out there: Arena (my childhood favorite), The Enemy Within, The Corbomite Maneuver, Space Seed, The Doomsday Machine (my favorite as an adult), and Assignment: Earth. Those are just the ones that I can think of off the top of my head, but I know that there's plenty more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A. Great looking ST set.

    B. Sellers who don't respond to reasonable best offers suck.

    C. Thanks for sharing your favorite episodes. I'll definitely check these three out.

    D. Great looking set.

    E. Kinda bummed that Sulu didn't get a sticker. Would have wanted a copy for my Japanese PC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh nice, when I first saw that I thought you wanted the gold set and accidentally got the ST set. Cool pick up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done, Topps! I'd enjoy collecting these Treks. As my fondness for new baseball wanes, I find myself intrigued with older non-sports sets of my favorite shows. The stickers are wild and remind somewhat of the Charlie's Angels set.

    ReplyDelete