Sunday, November 29, 2020

US History In A Box

Bought a box of 1992 Starline Americana cards from an antique store I've been in several times.  I needed several cards from this set for my Astronaut/Space binder, but since the box was less than $20, I snagged it.  With what counted out to 36 packs of 12 cards, how hard should it be to put a set together, right?

Well, not quite so easy.  The set is 250 cards.  I needed ten astronauts for the binder, and got nine.  Still need nineteen cards for a complete set, including three astronauts.  Here's the list:

42 John Tyler
50 Andrew Johnson
51 Henry Ford
58 Eddie Rickenbacker
62 Benjamin Harrison
69 Stonewall Jackson
71 Warren G. Harding
85 Lyndon Johnson
168 USS Nautilus
169 Challenger
178 Christopher Columbus
186 Robert Fulton
195 Surrender at Yorktown
207 Pocahantas
222 George Eastman
224 Edwin Aldrin, Jr.
225 Neil Armstrong x2
240 Chief Joseph
249 Checklist #2

The cards themselves aren't bad.  Stock is your typical 90's white and rather flimsy.  Centering is off on a lot of them, but not by much.  The stars around the borders make it obvious.  There are a nice variety of subjects - Presidents, Leaders of Industry, Writers, Poets, Statesmen, First Ladies, etc.   Even Babe Ruth and Jackie Robinson.

And there's lots of historical informaton on the backs, though the typeface is rather small for my old eyes.  Had the magnifier out while sorting them for sure.  My biggest pet peeve is that the horizontal ones are upside down relative to the backs.

I have plenty of doubles to trade if you have any of the above singles, or anything from my sports wants linked in the upper right corner. 

One post a month whether I need to or not!

Just kidding, I have something else I've been wanting to put up....


5 comments:

  1. Do you have a double of Amelia Earhart? She's the only card from the set that I want, but haven't been willing to pay the online price of $1+ for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I opened up a box of this stuff a few years ago. I'll definitely go through my doubles to see if I can help. If you happen to have dupes of these I can use them for my set:
    116 Iwo Jima
    129 William Rehnquist
    142 Clarence Darrow
    153 The United States Constitutional Convention

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have these for you... 51, 58, 71, 178, 186, 195, 207, 222, and 224. I'll get them shipped out this week.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, this looks like a great, fun set. Love the early 1990s sets as they made sets of everything. Good luck on completing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should do the whole set but have been working on the presedential portion. Are you familiar with J2 cards: http://www.j2cards.com/about.html
    They have a collection of NASA and SPACE MISSION cards. I have a few of the ROCK cards and can vouch for their quality.

    ReplyDelete