Monday, April 24, 2023

The First Mile

At some point I promise I'll get back to posting things like the Heritage pairs ('59T/'08Her), trade maildays, and other aspects of my collecting.  But for now, I'm immersed in data entry.  

Tonight, I finished my first full monster box.  I started with a three row with everything from '97 Pinnacle Zenith through '98, '99, and 2000 that you've seen before.  

This five-row box holds the end of Upper Deck 2000 thru 2003 Stadium Club (which is between SP Authentic and SP Legendary Cuts because it fits in the end of the row.)

So here's everything I've entered so far in baseball.

Well, it's probably closer to two full monster boxes, but the rest of it is chunks of sets from several different places, some special stuff, and some football.  Also including a handful of singles I added on to some trades, and a group of oversized cards that have to be stored separately.  And I did enter my box of 2015 Score / 2018 Illusions football.

As you can see, there aren't many big chunks of sets in this box.  Only maybe 2002 UD Vintage (4th row) and 2003 SP Authentic at the very end.  This one probably took around 20 hours total to enter.  That was spread over about six days last week up to tonight.  I took Thursday thru Saturday off.  It sped up Sunday, because I installed the Brave browser and now use it for database work.  I had never heard of it before, but it is based on Chrome and blocks all ads and trackers.  And it's free.  Such a relief to get rid of the pesky ad banner that pops up from the bottom of the TCDB page every time it refreshes or moves to a different page!


The view via Firefox (my default) with the ad you can't deflect...


The same page in Brave - no ads anywhere!

I'm also stopping every now and then to scan a card I'm entering that doesn't have an image in the database site.  It's a very quick process unless it's a shiny card, then that takes some editing.  According to my Recently Added history, I've put up right about 200 images (fronts & backs count separately) since I started scanning things in earnest, beginning in late March.






Just a sampling of the more wacky stuff I have available.  

Only six or seven more five-rows to go in baseball, and nine football after that!  And then I'll go back and do everything before 1997!  

I really will try to post about other things in the meantime.  I just won't want to sit in front of this screen much more though.....

3 comments:

  1. Just thinking about cataloging a 5k ct. box gives me anxiety. It makes me wonder if I'll ever truly get my trade bait up on TCDB... even after retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At a recent show I saw a couple of demos of software that made cataloging a collection very easy and its too bad there isn't a way to make that connection with TCDB to upload a collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Their ads are terribly annoying. It would probably take me years to do just what you've already done.

    ReplyDelete