Sunday, May 07, 2023

PWE = Pretty Wacky Experiences

Chugging along with the Database entries and more trades.  Most of them are PWEs like I mentioned before.  Got another one that arrived completely intact, but looked like it had been shot with a shrink ray.

Those are standard size card pockets, but no, the cards are supposed to be that way.  Those are the Topps Micro versions from each of the three years they were made ~ 1991 thru 1993.  These just about complete all my player collections except maybe Carlton Fisk.

Also last week, I got a return envelope from somewhere I've never sent cards before. 


This was the inside wrapping around the plastic page that held the cards.  The envelope actually had a return address of New York, NY, but I sent to Israel.  That was pretty cool.  Only cost me a bit over $3 for First Class International.

Then Friday, I got a major mailday:


One bubble mailer and four PWEs.  You can see the different postage on each one.  The butterfly stamps are equal to one regular first class stamp plus the extra ounce / non-machinable extra charge.  The bunnies are the extra oz./non-mach by itself.  So if you have a two ounce envelope that is rigid - it's one of each.

After depackaging, this is what I ended up with.

Here's a sampling of what was in those trades.

My last base (SP) from the latest Ginter set.  The Ohtani is a duplicate, because I didn't have any of the Banner Seasons on my want list.  I think I missed updating the database after buying a bunch of '22 Ginter at Chantilly.  That's the downside of keeping two sets of wantlists.

Love all the special Cal Ripken sets and subsets.  Though I figured no one will be trading things like this, so I ended up buying this on and one of the Skybox E-Motion ones too.  This one's got an issue with the foilage, as you can see it's a different shade in the left section.  Hopefully the one I bought is consistent.  This one is available cheap when that one gets here.

Some "A-list" retro stuff from a couple different trades.  The Aaron is from the '94 Archive set, and Abreu is one of three '07 Heritage SPs that I knocked off.

I picked this 2020 Archives Robles just to add to the random cards of his I occasionally pick up that generally get added to sets of the same year and not a player collection.  I actually ended up with two of these - the database will repeat a match between two traders for some reason and I didn't catch it.  Mostly because I don't analyze my trades that closely since my main goal is to move out as much stuff as possible.  I know it makes people feel better if they have a couple more to match up when I'm sending twice as many.  Not sure that was the case here, but either way I have one available...

A couple that look like pure Overproduction era commons, but upon closer inspection, you'll realize that the '90 Donruss checklist is the factory version with a different range of numbers, and the '91 Comstock is the Mariners version (vs. the Cubs version which is blue bordered.) I had a notation about lines in the bottom right corner being extended, but I can't find the reference to it, so I crossed it off since it definitely isn't the Cubs version.

Down to Pat Benetar for my series 2 set of ProSet MusiCards!  Metal horns up! I'm not building the entire set, just the hard rock acts and a few awesome females.

Some foil-stamped football from various years.  These are 1997 Upper Deck and 2015 Prestige.  I think the Prestige card's scan stretched at the end.  The extra glossy (and usually shiny) ones tend to do that in my scanner.  I've also been getting a lot for my builds of '97 Stadium Club and this set...

...from two years before.  There's a lot of rainbow foil on these.  The logos for the first season's of NFL in Carolina and Jacksonville are cool.  The foil doesn't scan well, of course.


And finally, one of my favorite products to get in trade (or find cheap for sale) is Fleer Action Football.  These killed off half my 1986 wants.  I also got one of the two Washington stickers from this set, but odd size stuff won't feed through my scanner.

3 comments:

  1. It's always a great day when you get 4-5 packages in the mail from TCDB trades. I have no idea why Topps thought collectors would want tiny versions of their cards but at least a couple of them made their way into my collection back in the day. I think I managed to save one.

    Isn't that Comstock version kind of rare? I can't keep track of all the early-90s variants but that's ringing a bell for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of Benatar. Didn't even realize that Pro Set made a card for her. Hope you cross her off your list and wrap up that set sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete