Wednesday, February 07, 2024

View From The Club Level - Part 2

Continuing the previous post on my four "compact" boxes of 2023 Stadium Club.

Box #3 begins with an exclusive purple foil parallel.  Lee looks like this game is with the knuckleballer and he's not looking forward to it...


Another Oriole parallel - though I'm not familiar with Mr. Hall.  This looks like a chrome, but doesn't have the logo.  It's a little different....

Ah, OK.  Rainbow foilboard numbered out of 25.  That explains it.

Cool signed shot of Michael Grove for the Dodgers.  I think much of the appeal of Stadium Club photography is the wide angles.  It focuses on the atmosphere and not just the player himself.  Shades of 1973 Topps vs. the previous years.

The remainder of Box #3.  My only player collection hit was Keith Hernandez.  Still need pairs of Bo Jackson, Carlton Fisk, and Jim Palmer, plus all the parallels.  Got Bench and Brandon Crawford in red, as well as the Ohtani CPF insert, which was the first card that is already spoken for as I figured.  Black Burnes, Verlander CFP (regular), and Harper VV fill out the rest.

Last box.  There's that Burnes guy again.  This time it's the orange chrome refractor...

...out of 99.  This was the highest serial number of anything I pulled.

Another Orioles highlight (and keeper), a Beam Team Gunnar Henderson.  This may be my only representation of his rookie cards besides A&G.  And I won't bother trying to complete the Beam Teams either.  I've still got a few sets going from previous years.

And here is the rest of Box #4.  Wait, where's the autograph you say?  Well, I guess they're not necessarily guaranteed.  No last pack mojo in this one.  The next box probably has my Ripken auto in it.  

Betts CFP and O'Neill Cruz VV were the inserts.  And this one had red Bregman, Mitchell, and Jose Ramirez.  Jose also showed up in black.  And you saw Mitchell in a previous box in black as well.  Josh Smith was the second purple foil.  And I didn't realize it from the first one, but...

...They are numbered too!

Overall, I'd say these are a fun rip.  I can't speak to the value you get.  Don't know if I should really be disappointed about not getting a fourth auto.  And I wasn't too worried about getting enough of the inserts to be able to finish them either.  So I'm happy with what there is.  The only other factor will be collation.  Let's sort 'em out and see....

I didn't notice a lot of duplication until I got to the third box.  And even then it didn't seem like a lot.  I knew there were three of a few players.  Once I sorted them by numbers, it looked like there would be a significant number of dupes in the first 100.  And the 100's looked the weakest as far as set completion.

Sorting them down to tens filtered out the dupes.  I did have a handful of triples.  That's kinda weird when you consider I would be completely missing so many but get three of a few.  But the overall ratio of redundant cards is very low.  I'm pretty sure my dealer pulls them out of the case in a manner to reduce getting the same box twice, so that may contribute.  Either way, the collation is pretty good.  Only about 20-25% duplication.  And the inserts were pretty much all different, which is nice.

I'm going to put up my wants to my original trading group first, since I've neglected them after jumping in deep on the TCDB.  Then I will open up trading to bloggers and readers and Database members.  I'm really only after the base set and hope to get lucky with a few of my PC guys' parallels along the way.  And if it gets really intense, maybe finagle an auto of someone I know or a few more Oriole inserts.

Thanks for checking out my break!

5 comments:

  1. I know I've gotten quadruples of cards out of Topps packs in the past. It's always a fear I have when I'm opening a fair amount of a certain product (which admittedly doesn't happen much these days).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sad how few names I recognize here. Probably why I don't usually even click on posts with new packs/boxes anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still haven't seen them out in the wild so thanks for showing off the cards!

    ReplyDelete