Thursday, May 28, 2020

Doesn't Break My Heart To See Them Go

Matt from Heartbreaking Cards Of Staggering Genius did a little shopping for me and killed over half my top wants.  It's always so great when traders will do this for you.  And it makes the posts easier to compose, since the pictures are already on my home wants page.


The first couple were easy-ish football singles to kill sets.  The first of two guys named Allen kills my 1996 Topps set (or the second copy that didn't go to my Redskins collection did).


The next guy was also from 1996, but ended the regular Ultra set.  Bee-Ak-A-Ba-Too-Ka was the last rookie.  Still working on the companion set of the foily Sensations.


The other Allen is this 1983 rookie that I figured I'd end up buying at the next show, but now I don't have to look for it any more.  Glad to finish another vintage football set.  Which means I can start some more. 😁


Keeping with the Hall Of Famer theme, this Fleer Greats Of The Game Retrospection Collection (<gasp> long name) finished that little insert set.  I bet these were expensive when they first came out.


Even more potential HOF'ers in this pair of 1965 tall boy minis from 2012.   Wish these fit into sheets better, but they're too cool.


Same theme, different sport.  This Mario finishes the base set to 1993-94 Upper Deck, although I still have those WJC stamp errors on the list.  Not sure if they're easy to find or not.  I thought there was only one, but there is evidence that there are actually a bunch of them.  Anyway, Mario is one of the few Penguins I respect.


This one didn't spend much time on the Top 12 list.  It's a second copy for my space binder.  There are still a couple similar things on the non-sport list to take its place, though.


Back around to baseball, this is also a set killer from 1994 Donruss.  A set I kinda started from scratch with a handful of extras from my dupes box and a few trips to dealers with cheap singles.  Nice to put this one to bed.


And finally, this SP from 2014 GQ.  I never saw this one in the wild myself, so I'm very glad to finally have it.  Not likely to try to tackle any more GQ sets unless they go back to the more conservative retro designs.

Thanks again Matt for flattening my Top 12 list.  I replaced enough of them to make it a Top 10 list again.  It's getting tougher to find individual singles to put up here.  The majority of my "5-0r-less" set lists are down to at least three or more cards.  Maybe that just means I'll have to go on another shopping trip to SportLots or COMC again myself.

3 comments:

  1. Always great to see some set needs crossed off a collector's list. I really like the Marino and Moon Landing cards and the Allen and Allen cards are nice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a sweet Mario card.

    But I'm voting for the Marcus Allen rookie. His list of accomplishments is insane.

    College:
    Heisman Trophy
    National Champion
    Hall of Fame

    NFL:
    Rookie of the Year
    MVP
    Super Bowl Winner
    Super Bowl MVP
    Comeback Player of the Year
    Hall of Fame

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on completing so many sets. That's been one of my main collecting goals as of late... so I can imagine how happy you are to cross these off your list. Matt really hooked it up.

    ReplyDelete