Sunday, July 12, 2020

Selected Superfluous Series 2s

I am getting so lazy it's pathetic.  I took off Thursday and have had a four day weekend, but haven't posted a dang thing here since the 9th.  And I even have another installment of the Heritage pairs ready to go...

Anyway, I scanned in the leftovers from my double box break of Topps series 2 retail.  Have a good stack of base and these inserts available for trade.  I'm looking for the Decades Bests myself.


I would say "Elvis Hot Box!" at this point, but these actually accumulated between the two boxes.  Got the SP base, shiny Turkey, and blue Turkey.  Anyone a Rangers fan?


More blue stuff.  Parallel inserts are the most unnecessary and annoying thing about flagship in the last few years.  Reminds me of Panini Cooperstown.  They're basically inserts you can't add to your set.


Usually I hate shiny retro, but these aren't bad looking.  Still trade bait though.  I keep thinking this is Kershaw.  Who needs chromey Thor?


Chromey Thor to ugly WAR's.  Bleah.  I get the baseline stripe concept, but these look more like chalk drawings from the design meeting. 


The next chapter of the '85s included the most depressing card for a Washington fan - the newly transplanted Mr. Rendon.  The Rockies would have looked good in the '85 set, but the D'backs color scheme isn't even close.  What is that?  Mustard and relish on your snake sammich?


The All-Star '85s are exclusively AL East.  I've omitted certain things from all this that are already staged for delivery to particular people.  Hence the reason I'm not showing any of the twenty some Turkey Reds I got.


If there weren't six billion of these, and they were as plentiful in a box as the Turkeys, I might collect these.  But Topps doesn't roll like that any more.  They look pretty cool even though it seems all the hitters are standing in hockey rinks with the crowd behind the glass.  Of course, if I WAS collecting these, Trout would be the last one to show up in a pack...

Let me know what you need from these. No gamers out of my retail boxes, and no 2030 inserts, but I didn't really miss either one, especially for less than $70 a box.

5 comments:

  1. Parallels of inserts are really not cool. You're absolutely right... you can't put that in your set build and I very much would have rather had the base insert so that I could. Sigh.
    The '85 Diamondbacks color scheme is a mess. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird that they didn't differentiate the career WAR from the season WAR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Topps used that same color scheme with the Diamondbacks when the '85 design was in Archives a couple years ago. It looked hideous then. They didn't learn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like Rendon... but now that he's an Angel... I can't imagine rooting for him as much since it'll be helping a rival.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You nailed it on the WARs - chalk. Ugly cards. Of course, there's a Ty Cobb in the set. I think I can live without it. You pulled 4 decent HR Challenge cards. Well, to say Trout is decent may be understatement.

    ReplyDelete