Monday, March 06, 2023

Blog Bat-Around: Alphabet Title Challenge

Nachos Grande created the latest Blog Bat-Around in the form of the Alphabet Challenge where you take the letters of your blog title and match each to a player you like.  He allowed the flexibility to choose first or last names, which helps to prevent it devolving into "Player I've heard of that starts with Q or Z."  Here are my picks.  Some alternate sport choices are also present, especially when they outrank the baseball guy.


 

My number one baseball player collection guy.  This is easy so far.

Honorable mention - Sean Taylor.


 

Priest Holmes, my only real foray into supercollecting.  Two fantasy championships from him made me a fan.  First two letters - my two most favorite guys in each sport.  This is going well.

Honorable mention - Braden Holtby, goalie for the Washington Capitals (for his first few years).

 

 

Going for the first name this time.  The older era guys are just more revered.  I didn't actually see him play, but just like him better.

More of this letter to come, so no Honorable Mentions yet.

 

 

Another vintage favorite...


   

O is a tough one, but I've got one guy in my PCs. 

Honorable Mention - Alex Ovechkin


 

Sparky is one of those distinct character guys.  I really have no opinion on whether I prefer his Philly days or with the Yankees.


 

For the second L, I'm going a little off the beaten path.  Laich was a longtime member of the Capitals team with Ovechkin, Backstrom, & co.  He was a significant name and fan favorite, but the real reason I put him here is that for a while he was married to this gal:

Unfortunately, they divorced last year.  She decided she wanted too much freedom and couldn't be married, had to explore her sexuality, etc..  Such a shame.


 

I was a fan of the scrappy shortstop when the Cardinals were making their championship run in the mid- to late 2000's. 


  

Could have gone several directions here, but lately I'm into players that jumped teams a lot.  Clayton is a PC just for that reason.  He has been joined by Edwin Jackson, who is the current record holder for playing for the most franchises.  (Fun fact - all three of my PC's with 'J' names are Jacksons - Bo, Edwin, and Grant.)

Honorable Mentions - Cecil Cooper, Cesar Cedeno.


 

Tenace's tenure with the Swingin' A's of the mid-70's has been well documented in cards the last couple years, especially with Heritage and Archives.  He's got a ton of coach cards with the Toronto organization that I've only scratched the surface in collecting so far.

Honorable Mention - Joe Torre.

 

   

Ivan DeJesus is probably better known with the Cubs, but I just remember him on TV at some point.  Plus, he shares the same birthday as me - January 9.


 
I don't know another player that I associate more with one card design than Vida Blue and 1971 Topps.  There must be five or six images inside that black frame from different products over the years.

 

 

Yeah, I know it's pretty blasphemous to show Dewey in something other than his Bahsten uni, but I like the Orioles.  Not sure if I watched a lot of him while he was there....

 

 

Normally, I would go with a PC guy here, and I have a lot of choices - Mike Mussina, Bake McBride, or Jim Marshall (football), but this guy is one of the bright spots on the Washington Commanders and I still watch football (of any pro kind these days) and honestly not much else.  If the team finally sells, it will mark the beginning of a fresh start that we've needed since 1999.  Any improvement will be a milestone.  Scary Terry should be instrumental in that.

 

 

I is another tough one for names.  After DeJesus, Arturs Irbe is the only one that comes to mind with any vague connection to my fandom.  He wasn't on my favorite teams.  He was just notable for that old school helmet.  And I always like the Russian guys.  

These last few letters aren't providing a lot of solid choices.

 

 

Mike Nelms was one of the top kick returners in the whole league back in the 80's.  That's all you really saw him do.  And he did it well.


 

If you've seen the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary "The Best That Never Was", you know the story of the running back from Mississippi.

On his way to eclipsing Herschel Walker’s record for the most touchdowns in high school history, Dupree attracted recruiters from schools in every major conference...Dupree took the attention in stride, and committed to Oklahoma. What followed, though, was a forgettable college career littered with conflict, injury and oversized expectations... Eight-time Emmy Award winner Jonathan Hock will examine why this star burned out so young and how he ultimately used football to redeem himself..

Everybody loves potential - especially in card collecting - and this guy had bucketloads of it.

Honorable Mention - Doug DeCinces.


Well, that was a wacky list.  But I love these kinds of posts.  We can make lists out of almost any theme or phrase.  Keep the ideas coming!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for playing along! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many 70's A's guys. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiant and Evans made my list too, but you can probably guess what uniform they're wearing...

    ReplyDelete