Monday, August 13, 2018

Striking Gold With Retail A&G

Went to my local Target over the weekend looking for one of those folding tv trays that slides under the couch.  Finally remembered to use the three gift cards I've been carrying around when I found it.  So of course, I had to check the card aisle.

 I was in WalMart before this - no trays and only one blaster of Stadium Club and two A&Gs.  They still might as well get out of the card business.  But I digress...

Target had jumbo packs of Big League (already reviewed extensively elsewhere, so I won't), and these 3-Pack Allen & Ginter hangers with three exclusive gold minis.  If you hold the packages by the bottom seam and shake 'em (gently!) so the packs slide to the top, and then hold them by the sides and let the minis fall to the bottom, you can at least spot who the top one is.  I caught one with a Nationals logo and went for it.

Here's how it came out....


Got that basketball player gal, Kelsey Plum, who reminds me of Michaela Conlin from Bones



Close, anyhow.  Kelsey's cute if you can find her out of uniform, but Michaela is very unique and really pretty.

Also got the weather storm, and the comedian former Eagle guyer I've never heard of.  Decent selection of players, including Thome, Cano, Benny, etc.


Rounding out the base cards, Ol' Honus, "Not Kerry" Wood, and Newk.


I really like the inserts this year.  It's the base set that I'm still not completely sold on.  I feel like I could collect the flagship base set and the A&G inserts and call it a year.  They are definitely created by a completely different team of people than the flagship ones.


Not sure if these qualify for my space binder.  But now that I think about it, they just might.


Mini inserts!

Crossing hobbies with significant postage stamps - I like it.  And the exotic sports goes great with A&G.


My one player mini - an A&G back.  Great player to pull.  Sorry, he's spoken for already.


And finally, the gold minis.  Murph might stick around here.  Glasnow is also outbound already, but if anyone wants Hanley or any of the others, let me know.

I might get bored and build this set later.  I always seem to do A&G in the even years.

1 comment:

  1. Loved watching Bones back in the day. Michaela Conlin is gorgeous. Normally I don't have a lot of good things to say about my retail breaks, but I did pretty well with my A&G, Stadium Club, and Chrome blasters this year.

    ReplyDelete