Wednesday, August 08, 2018

MD, DC, PA Shop Tour Part 4

Our grand finale was a trip to Essex, near Baltimore for the North Point Plaza Flea Market.

There are three vendors there.  Glen usually has some nice off-condition vintage stars, and some other dollar goodies, as well as a lot of local memorabilia and oddballs.  Steve is right next to him and has a large selection of vintage stars, and several huge piles of monster boxes for quarter and dime singles.  Then further back there is another older gentleman who has older Orioles and some other singles.

After the flea market, we made a stop in the Baseball Card Outlet shop just down the road back toward home.  I combined the loot from all four in my photos.


Some shiny Redskins and the Melissa Baker Goodwins from BCOutlet.   XFL inserts, Bo Jacksons, Field Access football, Shiny Mussina, Matusz auto and Michael Jordan relic from Steve.


Also from the BCO shop, a 1975-76 Topps hockey starter for 10¢ each and more shiny Redskins.  Also found some Gridiron Kings inserts and framed base cards in the same box of shiny stuff.  That's the same Bo as in the previous shot.


Almost all my PC guys from the Crown Orioles set (anyone have a Piniella?) along with a few Ted Williams set inserts, a Donruss Champions, 2018 '87s, 1999 Ultra, and 2013 Hometown Heroes inserts.  Also a Mantle Heroes from early 90's Upper Deck, Aaron & Mays Topps reprints, LGonz Piece Of History insert, All Star Access Jetah (love crossing him off my many insert lists), and a Promo version of the Cal E-Motion.  Still need a plain one.  The finest Bryce was just pretty, so I'll put it with the few semi-unique Harpers I have.

Now we get to the older baseball.


A slew of '68's priced by the color of the top loader from BCO.  Clear was 50¢, black $1, etc. or something like that.


'64 stars and commons from the shop and Glen.  He puts the high book price on the big stickers and then charges about 25% of it or less.


I kept picking out sharp '57s even though I have no list for them.  these were only a couple bucks each or so.  Jackson puts me down to seven '63 Fleers, including the Adcock SP and the rare checklist.


Glen also had a crapload of decent '50 Bowmans that were all marked high, but cost me only like $5 each.  The Cubs manager in the center is Frank Frisch.  Tacked on a couple more at the shop.


And finally, the big hits.  Pete Reiser was a card I targeted a while ago.  He was a remarkable player who would have been one of the all time greatest if not for injuries he sustained throughout his career.  He was taken off the field 11 times on a stretcher as a result of playing with such all-out effort that he would crash into walls full speed.  Ebbetts Field was the first ballpark to pad the walls because of him.  Rivaled in skills and talent only by Willie Mays, he just couldn't keep up the pace.  I probably paid full price for it, but I don't mind.

The other hits are player collection additions that were only a couple bucks each.  It's always nice when guys sign their full names instead of the single squiggles you get out of some of these young guys these days.
Garrett is going to an Anderson collector I know.  Mel Ott is one of the 2007 Sweet Spot Classic jerseys I still needed to have them all.  Down to the rare legends on that subset.

Overall, a great finale to my friend's visit.  I should go down there more often.

1 comment:

  1. I'm an autograph guy... but the highlights were definitely the vintage. Those 68T's and 50B's are beautiful! Sweet haul!

    ReplyDelete