Saturday, June 20, 2020

BBA: My Other Collections - The Obvious One

With a Star Trek themed blog, you would think I would come up with Trek as one of my other hobbies right off the bat, but it took a minute.  I wouldn't consider it a "collection", but I do have a significant pile of "stuff" from when I was watching new shows and going to conventions.  Unfortunately, none of that has happened for years now.  I think I've seen all the new movies, but I'm actually not sure.  Just can't get into them as much as the Roddenberry era...

Anyway, here's my stuff...


This shelf on my bedroom bookcase is all Trek.  From paperbacks to hardcover novels and some other miscellaneous items.


Closer look at the hardcovers and Kirk accessories....


Paperbacks, Fotonovels, and TV Guides.  I finally replaced Fotonovel #11 from eBay after loaning it out years ago and not getting it back.  The TV Guides are probably not a complete collection, but span most of the shows.


And there are some bigger ones down with the comic stuff.  The ones to the left of the black encyclopedia are the old Gold Key comic reprints.  Those are really cool.


Around the hardcover books, some oddball items.  The blueprints set is still wrapped.  The lunchbox is not an original, it's from 2001, but still cool.  The canister had cookies in it.


Probably not the only Trek calendar I've had, but the one I held onto...


A local artsy paper from my hometown in 1993.  Our local comic shop guy commissioned us for a photo shoot in our uniforms and props. 


Left to right: Bill H. and Bill S. from my 1982 journal entries, and me relegated to the background.  The communicator and phaser were very realistic props that Bill S. had purchased at conventions.  Those guys also had Wrath Of Khan style uniforms as well.  More on mine in a bit.


Here's me taking command last summer at the Henry Ford museum exhibit that I posted about. 


These are all still on my walls in the computer room.  The Klingon ships are about 2' x 3' and the TOS cast is 27" x 40" and mounted on foamboard.  (It's falled down a few times so it's kinda beat up.  Sorry, I should have cropped these better.  Got all these at the Baltimore conventions back in the day.


Nametags from some of the conventions I went to.  Mostly in the early 90's in the Baltimore area.  Again, not a complete collection, just the ones I managed to save.  Bonus Air & Space museum ticket too.


As I went along, my tastes for images and wall art became a bit more refined. 


And the Borg theme came through too.  There was some great fine art being generated back then.  I'm sure there still is, but I haven't been to see it for decades.


And of course, if you're going to conventions, ya gotta look the part.  This is my first Next Gen uniform.  We got the nice pins and collar pips too.  I saw some other people with cheesy looking accessories walking around the shows.  Never compared them to the tv show side by side, but ours looked good.


Then I upgraded to the fifth season Captains jacket & tunic.  It's hard to see, but this is what I'm wearing in the newspaper above.  I had a few women come up to me at conventions. . . and tug at the jacket and say "I could make this!".   Ah well, it was cool though.  Tried it on last Halloween.  Unfortunately, neither uniform still fits.


And finally, the pièce de résistance.  This neon sign was custom made for me by a co-worker who also worked for a sign company.  He just wanted to see if he could do it.  Definitely a one-of-a-kind item.


And it still works!  Though strangely, it appears white in the phone camera.  Must be the frequencies or something.


Moving closer, this is what it looks like in reality while in full glow.

So that's all my Trek stuff.  Well, except for the cards from the 90's that you may already have seen.  I didn't get to the point where I made a Borg suit or anything.  But it did cross my mind a few times.  Especially since I have access to electronic parts.  Ah well....I got a Borg blog.  Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. I might have to see what the books are like one of these days.

    That's a groovy thermos / lunch box combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That neon sign is awesome! I love pretty much all neon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome collection! Although I'm way into SW... I do enjoy ST too. I'm actually rewatching TNG right now. Currently in the second season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff! It’s always fun to see what people collect besides cards

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been a Trek fan, but one of my all-time favorite Sci-Fi books is a parody called Redshirts by John Scalzi.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew that you had to have some sort of collection, so it's nice to be able to finally see some of it. Movie posters are always cool, and that neon light is beyond amazing, but I think I like those convention nametags the most, especially the one that features Leonard Nimoy!

    ReplyDelete