Wednesday, June 03, 2020

Kerry Sends Redbirds, Rookies & Jeets!

Kerry of Cards On Cards was the recipient of a big team lot from the hoard.  His return fire came today.  I got some nice set hits, including a few I never expected.


Shockingly, this is one of only about three Cardinals cards in this lot.  Fredbird knocks my new Opening Day list down to one card - Orbit the other mascot.  Got everything else with the help of my friend Stuart. 


I'll put all the Cardinals first.  This '99 Ultra prospect brings up the rear in the chronological order.  Interesting visual effect with the endless "poster floor".  Hadn't noticed that in the other prospect cards from that set.  A quick check of the Database and it's true.  All the prospects have this background, including a fishfaced Adrian Beltre.


Another obscure St. Louis rookie from the set with ALL the rookies.  Total is good frankenset fodder since the numbers go above 800.


Typical Ginter content - Treaty of Versailles and the Emancipation Proclamation (I won't go into it's relevance to this week's news).  I started to put these on my latest SportLots order, but I figured Ginter is very tradeable, so I took them off.  Not so lucky elsewhere.  More on that in a moment...


More from the newly listed 2012 A&G.  These were the last two for all of these, so I left them on the SpL order.  And promptly got them in another trade last week too.  So now I'll have a total of three pairs.  Learned my lesson.  And for those not from the Chicago area, that is the former Sears Tower.  I know, you're thinking "WhatchootalkinboutWillis?"


Like Fredbird, these Big League sketch cards also knock this insert set down to one from Houston.  Still missing Altuve.  Davis' face looks familiar - that's how he looks back after a strikeout...


One more off the hardest part about Stadium Club, the inserts.  The foil name doesn't scan well.  Will appears to be looking for something to hit from the car wash attendant.


Not-necessarily-the-Nationals-theme card for Gerardo Parra last year.  I won't sing the song because the mere mention of it probably gets it stuck in your head if you are near children for more than a few minutes a week.


So much to see here.  Hiura short print reminds me of something I have to send Fuji. 
Evel Knievel is just amazing 70'sness.  And Jim Morrison was almost a religious figure.


Two more Willie Mays inserts from 2020 Heritage.  I'm down to three.  The rest of the Heritage inserts are going to be a lot longer to finish.  These are just great.


Having shown all that, the bulk of the package was 2008 Allen & Ginter.  The one insert was this "United States" of the ever elusive Derek Jeter.  I lucked out on this one.  It was the only one I DIDN'T find for my SportLots order.  Now I'll be killing them all.  I always thank my lucky stars to cross off any Jeter.


And I can cross TWO of them off!  Yessss!


And the Mick!  Nobody trades Mantles!  Amazing!


The rival from the other end of the base set - a YOUK short print...


...what I considered to be one of the top rookies in the set (behind Kershaw and maybe Longoria).  Kerry is knocking it out of the park!


And the star power continues.  (That Maggs card is just cool).


More big names!


And the rest.  Almost all notable names, which they usually are in Ginter.  Knocked my base list down far enough that it was only about one line and I could add the names.  (Cordero is #191 if anybody needs one 😀)

Thanks for the fantastic trade Kerry!

4 comments:

  1. wow! I know that package made your day! Knocking so many excellent cards off the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tempted to vote for Fredbird just to push back on that "other mascot" noise.

    But Morrison's death wins this round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keston and Evel Knievel rule!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you needed (most of) them!

    ReplyDelete