Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Trade From Not Just Any Collector

The hits just keep on coming!  I've been delayed posting the next football list because of all the trades that have emerged this past week - not from the posts, but from the link I put over on Sports Card Forum.  I will get back to those lists soon.  The bulk of the football hoard is in the last couple lists I'll show.  That's where a lot of the good stuff is too.

For this post, Chris over at The Collector hit another diverse selection of my wants across three sports and several decades.

Starting with baseball...

These three barely fit across the scanner all right side up, so Stan the Man got a bit cropped.  But what a nice 2003 Sweet Spot Classic.  Love that set.  A Moose from '05 Heritage that doesn't also appear in my Mussina binder, since that's only for O's cards.  And one of the last few base to 2001 Fleer Focus.  Hats off to Fleer for the unintentional upgrade to the '81 Topps design.

Chris knocks off a few from two different Prestige sets.  Both of which I started from the hoard.  Prestige is fast becoming my favorite football product, even before Topps got put out of the business of gridiron cardboard.  Their last few sets got too busy and had too much microscopic type.  Prestige is much nicer looking and has cool inserts, even though there are six billion of them and it takes forever to finish a master set.

This 2005 Throwback of Priest has a dupe in his binder already, but it took me a while to find out that I hadn't snagged a second one for the set.  Looks cool in the '84 design.

A couple from the 2000 Season Opener set - the football equivalent to Opening Day.  Love the burgundy color much more than the regular base set.  I'm also trying for all the Football Fever game cards that came with these.

1985 Fleer Team Action of what appears to be Theotis Brown, fullback for the Chiefs.  I love, love, love these old Fleer cards.  Shooting for every set.  I've only finished a few.  I had the '79 and '80 set when they were new and put them with the Topps sets - sorted by teams of course.

On to hockey...the oldest player of the bunch on the newest card, Bobby Orr from 2014-15 UD MVP.  For a second, I thought the Byfuglien (pronounced buff-lyn - talk about consonant overkill) was a rookie, but it's not.  It's just part of the '08-09 Victory set that never ends.  Thought it ended with #250 and 50 rookies?  NOPE - there's another 100 in the Update set, which weren't sold on their own, you had to get 'em in regular UD series 2 packs.  And their ALL rookies.  Ugh...

This one IS a rookie - from 2007-08 Ultra.  Every one helps.  Especially these days, when if it says rookie, it's marked up 300%.  Always good to kill 'em in trade.

And as Tony says on PTI, we'll get you outta here on this one.  2000-01 Upper Deck Legends, with the wacky ice blue foil.  These aren't parallels, that's just how they did the base set.  Clashing colors notwithstanding, I like these kind of sets more than the regular players ones.  Like I said, I'm the anti-collector who prefers Legends and veterans over rookies every time.  And these two are both former Capitals.

Thanks Chris for all the hits!  Looking forward to the next round...

3 comments:

  1. Jagr wins it. I like it when the borders match the team colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've probably said it before, but you and I are in complete agreement as far as rookie cards are concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you can use these. Thanks for the trade!

    ReplyDelete