Friday, October 11, 2019

Cuts Both Ways

The penultimate stop on the six state tour was a diversion to an antique mall in Maumee, Ohio.  Most of the card type stuff was at the front of the store.  We had fallen way behind traveling and diverting off on slow roads, so we didn't spend more than about an hour.  But I did find some unique things.


Some oddball items including a '74 Topps Giants checklist, a Bo Jackson from Upper Deck, a Hank Aaron reprint from 2000, and an Elston Howard Salada coin.  Let's get a better look at that...



Very similar to the Topps coins of the same era, I don't think I have any of these otherwise.


The main draw to this shop from Stuart's previous visit was these uncut sheets of 1978 Topps baseball.  Each of these has at least two of my player collection guys on it.  There were a few more that I left behind either because of price or the lack of PC guys for me.


Here's the back of one sheet.  The numbering is consistent with the regular set, so I suppose these were magazine promos or a dealer issue, not really sure.


Then from uncut to cutout, I found this among the star football selections.  Didn't know about it until I had my hands on it.  A cool addition to my Redskins collection, as it says, it's an aborted LeVar Arrington rookie card from Upper Deck MVP.


Apparently Arrington didn't agree to have the companies depict him on cards and sued them.  So they recalled them and did this to them.  I had seen the 2006 Topps Alex Gordon cutouts for sale online, but not this.

Next time: Last stop Maryland!

3 comments:

  1. Love that coin! The uncut sheets might have been an insert in one of the popular kids magazines of the day (Dynamite?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cutout sure is something, I can't say that I've ever seen anything like that before! Those weren't inserted into packs like that though, correct?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That LeVar Arrington is awesome! Very unique. It's a bonus that it actually fits your team collection.

    ReplyDelete