Monday, July 25, 2022

Pasteboard Power Tour 2022: Greencastle PA

The day after the visit to the Bel Air shop, we went back through Westminster and Taneytown to visit a few of the antique shops that we saw on the way the day before.  None of them had any significant cards, so I'll move on to Thursday.  

One shop we were anticipating visiting for the first time was Kevin's Cards in Greencastle.  He had had a big booth in Rocky Ridge Collectibles near Maugansville, MD, but that place was shut down and will be replaced with a soft drink warehouse or something.  Kevin opened his new shop a few months ago, but I hadn't had the chance to see it until now.

I pictured a retail storefront, but the shop is actually just a space on the back side of a shopping center with one window and a door into the entryway.  The main part of the shop is an enclosed space with several rack shelves and some counters.  Here's the view as you come in the door, though this must be an early shot, because the shelves look a bit sparse compared to when we were there.

And there's a bit more around to the right.  That's where I started digging...

Some of the boxes are marked as vintage or certain years.  A lot of the others are just 25¢, 50¢, or $1 by sport, which is the same as in the old space.  Just here there are more of them!

I started with the vintage football...

He's always had those distinctive price tags over the top of each's card's penny sleeve or sheet pocket (sometimes both - I like to return the pockets and holders for "recycling" when I come back).  

Was very happy to find that Cam Newton - it's the final card for that 2011 Topps Legends set.

Stuart found those Cal Ripkens from 1996 SP.  It always adds to the fun when you're with another collector friend and you go back and forth with "Do you still need any of these?" "You ever get this one?" etc.

Another couple set killers - the Luis Bob 2030 was the elusive finish to those, Yordan killed my 2020 Heritage needs except for the Ernie Banks inserts in the high series, and Judge finally knocked out those 5-Tools from 2017 Topps.  (Still need some of the '87s, Gold Gloves, Silver Sluggers, All-Star MVPs, and HRD champs...)  The others are Heritage short prints, header cards, or serial numbered rookies that I didn't expect to find soon.

One unfortunate bonus pickup I got was a dry cough that the owner had (wasn't COVID) that I'm just now getting over completely.  Spending all that time in an enclosed space will lead to that sometimes.

So that wraps up this shop.  The last couple days were at the big show in Chantilly, VA.

2 comments:

  1. At first glance, the top photo looked like a really awesome mancave.
    Like in a perfect world, I wish I had that much space to display my collectibles. Glad you were able to finish off several sets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to look through all of those cheap boxes!

    ReplyDelete