Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Take Up The Hunt

While researching (which means Googling and browsing my binders) the cards to match up with the poem in this post, I was amazed that I couldn't easily find a couple particular images.

The most evasive card photo was of a catcher showing a sign.  There are many shots of catchers in a crouch, some in full gear and some in just hat and glove.  But pretty much all of them are holding their bare hand outside their knees, either in a fist, or loose hand.  I looked through several vintage sets that I have, plus some from the 80's and 90's, including base Topps and Donruss, as well as Stadium Club, which has more unusual photos.  But I was unable to find any of them with the catcher actually extending fingers.  I found one that had his hand in position, but hand still balled up.

George is as close as I've seen
I challenge any and all of you to find a card like this.  Maybe you know a particular card or set that I don't have that has one.  Bonus points for full gear and in-game action.  Has to be an actual major company-produced card.  Customs are great, but that's cheating. 😊


I don't need you to send me the card, just a scan will do.  I may even be persuaded to send you a nice card or two from your favorite player or team if I have anything, or a couple hits to your want lists.

2 comments:

  1. Funny such a card is so hard to find. I spent some time looking, but came up empty.

    But then ironically, Nick went and posted one on his blog today. It's not a 100% match, but there's a card with Ben McDonald goofing around putting down two fingers while in a crouch with his hat backwards, so that's gotta be worth partial credit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't think of one that features in-game action, but there's a Bill Dickey from 2003 Flair Greats that features him calling for the curve...

    https://www.comc.com/Cards/Baseball/2003/Flair_Greats_-_Base/71/Bill_Dickey/2488417

    ...as well as Greg Briley's 1992 Upper Deck card (a fun posed shot since he's actually an outfielder)...

    https://www.comc.com/Cards/Baseball/1992/Upper_Deck_-_Base/369/Greg_Briley/2018929

    ...in addition to the Ben McDonald that, as Gavin said, I (ironically) just posted on my blog today.

    ReplyDelete