Monday, May 13, 2019

Cardboard Census: Part One

It's a dreary, rainy day here at the Central Hivemind, and I've only got a couple small trade packages to put away.  I am waiting on another spontaneous SportLots order, but otherwise there aren't many card related chores to do. 

So I decided to finally dive into counting my cards.

I've configured a spreadsheet to break it down into the different storage locations, and then by the shelves, etc. contained within each.  This way I can keep track a piece at a time.  Some areas will go quickly, while others will be much more tedious and require a lot of hand counting.  The majority of my bulk is complete sets, which go fast, but I've already run into some things that complicate counting beyond just recording the last base card number.



I counted one shelf of my wire rack so far.  It's the bottom one that contains nine 3-row boxes (the 3000 count type).  Within those sets, I've encountered short prints (Heritage, GQ), variations, and alphabetically numbered inserts.  These are all things you have to take into account.  With some of them, it's easier to take the number of the full set and subtract the missing ones that are listed on my want lists.  For others, it's just old fashioned hand sifting - and remembering numbers.


When I'm done, there are going to be some other tasks that I'll want to do.  Like going back through my 1991 Topps set and seeing if I really have all but six of the variations that I think I have.  I skipped some of the asterisk differences, but I see on the database that there are others that I don't remember getting.  I'm sure that task list will grow.


The part I'm really dreading is the Redskins (in the blue vinyl cases) which will be almost all hand counting, and my player collection binders, which won't be quite so tedious, but will be interesting as I count full pages and then subract the empty slots from that total.


I'm wondering if I'll run into a lot of questionable calls in those binders especially.  Do I consider the album stickers as cards?  Probably so, since they occupy a spot in a page.  How about Broders and a few customs that I've printed out?  Yeah, there aren't that many to really influence the bottom line. 

So it's not going to be simple, but at the end, it'll be quite an accomplishment.  The other question is, do I record each set, player collection, team collection (by year), etc. next to their respective counts and thereby produce a detailed inventory too?  Not sure I'd really use it for much.  I'll keep my notes so I can refer back to them later if need be.

Have you counted your cards lately?  What complications did you run into?  How many did you end up with as a grand total?

Oh yeah, that one shelf put me at 20,600 already.

9 comments:

  1. I haven't counted recently. I just don't have the time for it anymore

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't counted my cards since the mid 80's. I think I did a quick estimate back in 2007/2008 when I re-entered the hobby. If I did it now... I'd probably have a mental breakdown after realizing how much crap I've accumulated over the past decade.

    P.S. Love seeing those vinyl cases. Sure takes me back to the days when I was still counting my cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg, I'm starting to think that you've got too much free time on your hands! Otherwise, why in god's name would you want to count all of that? It seems like madness, sheer madness :)

    BTW, no card counting for me... ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I should probably get out of the house more often...

      Delete
  4. Very nice setup! I'm in the process of counting my cards (for the first time ever) as I'm organizing and adding them to TCDB. I'm at about 81,000 now and I'll probably be somewhere between 90k-100k when I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks great! I'm still counting, up to 13,025, with a long long way to go. I'm still eliminating players which is not easy. I'm at Frank Thomas now, trying to decide whether he stays or goes. HOFer or not, there's not room for everyone. Perhaps my mind is not fully joined to the Hive?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember counting my cards a long, long time ago and winding up with something like 10,000 in my binders or something. It's many times that now. I've recently started cataloging some of my larger player collections because I'm curious to see & update my totals for many of those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your organization. Fantastic!
    Every now and again I count... usually during the summer when I have too much time on my hands. Last time I was around 56K... and a good percentage of that was sets. I've done a couple of purges since then so I wonder where I'm at now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a running total that I track in Excel. I track not only my overall total, but also my total by subject. I don't think the number is correct- I don't think I counted oversized cards back in the 90s/early 2000s. and I know I probably counted a few duplicates more than once by mistake. But I treat it as if it's the actual number. Currently, I'm at 169,863 total. NBA leads the way with 92725 of those.

    Eventually, when I get everything scanned someday, I'll know for sure exactly how many I have. Going to be a long while because even when I finish, I have to go back into each set and figure out what I lost to a remote hard drive crash in 2016.

    ReplyDelete