Monday, May 27, 2019

Memorial Day Miscellany

Hope everyone is enjoying a day off with as nice weather as I'm getting here in Maryland. I don't have a good central theme for a post today, but there are several little bits to put out.
As we remember those who made the sacrifice for freedom in America, we also pay tribute to a couple fallen sports heroes who passed in the last several days.

 

Bart Starr passed away at age 85.  He and I share the same birth date.

Buckner's death was just announced today.  He was 69.  Was kinda annoyed at ESPN.  They put it up on the crawl that he was gone and that he had 2715 hits over 22 seasons for five teams.  But then they had to say that he committed the fateful error in the '86 World Series.
Did you really have to tag him with that again?  I'm no Sawx fan, but they had him back and put that whole thing behind them several years ago.  Way to stain his legacy ESPN.


Current Count stats:

I've finished sounting the cards on my wire rack shelf and in the upper half of the football cabinet. 

Shelves have been slightly reconfigured since this shot

Counted everything behind the glass doors and in the drawer.
Total bulk Redskins in the vinyl cases (and early vintage) 6541
Redskins GU & Autos 207

The rest of the Redskins are in two binders which will be counted later.

Total GU & Autos by sport  Baseball 11  Football 555  Hockey 156  Other 5

Mostly football and hockey since that's primarily what's in this cabinet.  The "Others" are basketball and golf.

Total regular cards by sport:

Baseball 59190
Football 19689
Hockey 8952
Other 1072

The baseball is the bulk set stuff on the bottom of the wire shelf.  There is a whole lot more baseball to come.
The bottom of that cabinet houses the remainder of the football and hockey sets, and there will be some from the binders to add to this number.
The Other category includes two early 90's hoops complete sets and my stack of gorgeous women cards.  (Still have some old Benchwarmers in the bottom of one cabinet.)

Grand Total (so far):
89630
and counting.... I suspect that I'll approach 200,000 when it's all said and done.


Funny thing happened while going through all those sets.  I found a Postseason Celebration, three Storied World Series, and an '83 tribute Bo Jackson card in my set of 1996 Upper Deck Silver football.  Would have wondered where the heck those went when I closed those inserts out! 

You guys ever lose track of a particular card or cards and then find them somewhere crazy a while later?


5 comments:

  1. Nice card of Bart Starr!


    I have lost track of my entire 1973 football cards binder.

    All my others are accounted for:

    https://1967topps.blogspot.com/2018/03/blog-bat-around.html

    but the '73 football has been missing for about 3 years. (I know it's in my house somewhere.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressed with your count. Keep it up. Hmmm... I'll have to think about finding cards in crazy places. Nothing comes to mind right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buckner will always be linked to that play. Ironically, ESPN did a 30 for 30 a few years back that showed it wasn't his fault - his glove webbing collapsed and allowed the ball to pass through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, ESPN sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is impressive organization! I plan on doing a bit of reorganization this summer and doing an official count....something I haven't done in a long, long time. Thanks for the motivation!

    ReplyDelete