Monday, May 20, 2019

Collector's Log: Stardate 198206.24


I'm pretty sure I was already into the Star Trek show, but I guarantee the second movie Wrath of Khan made me a bigger fan.


We would eventually see E.T. as well.   I didn't collect the cards, though.


How many of you are too young to have had to look up information in an encyclopedia in the library instead of getting on a computer?


I still have my personal set at Mom's house that looks just like this.  It was the Bicentennial Anniversary set from 1976.  And it was updated once a year, with a Year Book addendum, where they included new articles and updates to existing ones.  


Now there's Google and Wikipedia, etc. that is constantly updated on the fly.  Can you imagine having to go back to this?


School year was winding down, so classes were very informal and loose.

Nice to know I got a bargain trade for a star card.

 

Probably didn't over-trade too much for these since the rookie thing wasn't quite my cup of tea.  Got a second Kemp later since he ended up a PC.


Had to look up what Horner's RC was.  Didn't think he had a quad card like those other guys.  Wins ROY without a prospect card that year.  Topps missed the call on that one.


More cardboard pickups after playing the game itself.

 

 

All these are PC guys as well.

Gotta wrap this up quick, there's a thunderstorm starting outside....

4 comments:

  1. Ugh storms. Dodged big ones on drive home yesterday.

    Both those '77 cards were ones I cut up into mini cards when I was in 6th grade.

    Also, there was a time when if you didn't know your way around a library card catalog, you would flunk out of school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Topps couldn’t have made a 1978 Bob Horner...he wasn’t even drafted until June! He then pretty much went right into the starting lineup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a long time, but I absolutely loved The Wrath of Khan when I was a kid. Just thinking about those bugs give me goosebumps. Even though I never collected the ET cards, I'm tempted to go out and grab the set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish that people still had to use reference books to look things up. Search engines have made people lazier, and they're certainly not making folks any smarter, especially when most people don't seem to retain the info that they get from internet searches.

    ReplyDelete