Wednesday, May 01, 2019

Collector's Log: Stardate 198206.9

Haven't put up one of these journal entry posts in a while.  Finishing up May 1982, looks like I'm running errands and changing my storage on '78 baseball and football and '82 Fleer baseball to those ol' cheese boxes.


I used to get those boxes for free from the grocery store (Weis Markets) where I had my first job.  I wouldn't start that until August 8, 1983.  Thought I was getting them while I worked there, but it must be that I started gathering them beforehand.  Either way, they look like this:


I know I've shown them at some point before.

Anyway, from the store to the ball field.  We played rundown, which I've never been a fan of.  And then "fielding practice" without a bat ~ just chucking a tennis ball way up in the air from home plate and letting the outfielders catch it.  Hey, it passed the time....

It's hard to say what I was trying to paint when the spray can exploded.  Probably a model car or plane.  I'm sure it was a funny image of me right afterward, but likely not to me at the time.



Doubtful that it looked anywhere near this cool.


But I probably sounded like this guy when it went off.  Though not in such a positive leadership-like way.



Now into June and anticipating summer.  Made my number grid for 1978 Topps.  Must have had a good starter by then.


Here's a neat little baseball nugget.  Whenever I turn on a game that's not my local team, I usually have a knack for picking one with an amazing finish.  Just like the other night when the Sharks took out the Golden Knights during their game 7 playoff game in the first round.

A few of my player collection guys show up in this one.  It's Mets vs. PiratesBottom of the ninth.  Score is 2 to 1 Pittsburgh.  The Mets come up for their last three outs.


Bob Bailor leads off with a single.


Kingman hits a single to move him up to 2nd.  A pinch runner is put in for Dave.  Runners on 1st and 2nd.

Kent Tekulve, who came in after Bailor's hit tries to pick off Bailor.  The missed catch allows the runners to move up.


Badass George Foster comes up and belts a hit to right field, scoring Bailor.  Pinch runner Rusty Tillman now on third.  Score tied 2-2 and still nobody out.

John Stearns grounds out to the second baseman.  Foster moves up.  Tillman stays put.

Joel Youngblood is intentionally walked to load 'em up and create the possibility of the double play to end the game....

Hubie Brooks steps in.

A grounder to third!

The throw home ....!

SAFE!  Mets win!!


Next time ~ I don't really know.  I stopped scanning journal entries at the June 9 spot.  Anything can happen!

3 comments:

  1. Those cheese boxes were a great idea. I always enjoy seeing what collector's used to store their cards before all of the stuff that we have now came out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are nice looking boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure I stored cards in one of those cheese boxes too back in the day. And bad call or not... I was stoked that my beloved Sharks advanced to the 2nd round.

    ReplyDelete