Wednesday, September 25, 2019

State Of The Count - September 2019

I started the daunting task of counting all my cards back in May of this year.  I just wanted a ballpark figure so when people ask, I can give them a round number.  And I was just curious myself as to the totals of some sections of my collection.

Well, it's September and I haven't finished.  The National got in the way, and then the monster box hoard took over the room, so I didn't get done counting so I could put the August loot away.  But in the meantime, here's where I am....

The spreadsheet I set up has everything broken down by fixture (rack, cabinet, shelf) and then by section.  Each section is separated by sport.   For the pics below, I consolidated some figures and left out a few stray GUs here and there.  But the grand totals are accurate to this point.


The big box rack was the first place I started.  Was interested in how many Redskins bulk singles are in those cases - the two shoe boxes are actually extras.  (The only extras in the room besides the new hoard.)  Neat that it came out to an even number (plus or minus a card or so).  This is the bulkiest part of my collection, obviously.


On the opposite wall from the rack is the football and hockey cabinet.  The top windowed section is small sets.  The left and center sections are one opening, and the right section is walled off from the others.  Below is a row of bindered sets, and in the small (silverware) drawer are mostly gamers and autographs.  The big drawer is basically empty.  Then below are the bigger completed sets.


Back at the doorway end, the baseball binder shelf houses full sets and multiple set binders.  There's some extra starters on the bottom and a few batches that don't fit anywhere else.  Counting binders wasn't as hard and arduous as I initially thought.  Most of the time I counted pages, multiplied by nine (or in certain cases by 4 or 6) and then subtracted the empty spaces (that I tallied as I counted the pages).


Next to those is the baseball cabinet.  This piece of furniture is the most full.  Sometimes I wonder if I should be concerned about the gross weight of all this being in one room.  I don't hear creaky floors or anything, so I'm not worried so far.

Again, there are small sets (mostly traded/updates) up top, player collection binders in the middle, and the big sets on the bottom.  And more gamers in the small drawer.  The big drawer is storage supplies - toploaders, card savers, one-touches, and different odd size bags and sleeves for shipping and storing in boxes.  Plus some wax wrappers and dummy cards.


The last fixture that stores my collection is the football (etc.) binder shelf.  Football and hockey vintage and other nice sets, plus my Charlie's Angels, other football leagues, Space and Astronaut binder, other non-sports, golf and basketball collections.  These will be the last things to enter on my spreadsheet....


...And then I can add all the stuff that showed up as I was starting to count...


...and all that I got on the multi-state tour and in the mail since then.

So the (so far) bottom lines look like this:

I have a feeling the Grand Total will reach over 200K by the time I'm done.

What do you think your Grand Total would be right now?

8 comments:

  1. That's amazing! I have no idea what my total is right now but I know that I have over three full shelves worth of duplicates/unwanted cards that I need to find a new home for (and if/when I do, my totals will be lowered drastically)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have kept track of almost everything through TCDB which says I have 52k in my collection, about 17k for trade, and I would estimate about 2k of cards I have in stuff for opening and going through....so just north of 70k all in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so many cards. Good on ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive room there! My collection is only about 25,000 total, so I can't imagine how nice it must feel to have a good portion of your collection organized and counted now. (Or how much effort it took to do so.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that I don't feel the need to do this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine right now is at a high water mark of around 50K, but I plan on offloading 20K in the next month. That'll be a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have around 12,000 cards.

    ReplyDelete