Monday, November 04, 2019

Fairly Decent Player Collection

Ron Fairly passed away on October 30.  He played for the LA Dodgers, Montreal Expos, St. Louis Cardinals, and a few other teams in his 21 year career.  He spent even longer in the broadcast booth for the Angels, Giants, and then Mariners.  Fairly had a total of 48 years involved in major league games.


He was also one of my player collections.  Mostly because he was on the Dodger teams of the 60's and early 70's.  When I first started collecting his cards, I didn't know a lot about him.  I discovered that he showed up in several oddball inserts along the way with guys like Joe Torre, Jim Fregosi, and Ron Santo.  That put him in good company, as Torre and Fregosi are also PC's.


His tenure with the Expos also generated appearances on oddball cards like this Nabisco (that I don't actually have, but want).

Here is my Fairly collection as it stands....


The '60 Rookie Cup is not his RC, but looks a little nicer than the '59.  The '63 is a classic stereotypical baseball card.  Can't remember where I found the autographed '64 or the Post, but they fit nicely.


Some cool oddballs here.  '66 Topps Rub-Off in the wrong slot (should be after the Topps), '67 Bazooka, and '69 Milton Bradley (with the non-serif 1's on the back).  Ya gotta love the windbreaker on the '67 Topps.  Also noticed the 3-out-of-4 helmet poses instead of a hat.


Into the 70's and the Montreal years here.  No, that's not a duplicate '71 Topps, it's...


Yellow O-Pee-Chee glory!


Also scanned the back of the '76 SSPC in the center of the bottom row.


The team-hopping years of the late 70's.  Love the '78 OPC with the updated team.


... and the bright stock of the back.


And the back side of that oddball USC card.

Some other oddballs....


1970 Topps poster,


1964 Topps Coin,


1971 Coin,


...and the backs.

Still lacking a few oddball items, but a pretty decently complete collection of his stuff.




You will be remembered, Ron.

2 comments:

  1. Fairly Bazooka, nice! As a Dodger card collector I have most of those but not all.

    I rediscovered an autographed photo I have of Fairly and then he passed away three days later. I was sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Nabisco Fairly is really cool. He played a little before my time, so I only know him from his collectibles. Had no idea he played in Oakland. Mostly remember him for his Expos stuff.

    ReplyDelete