Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Card Census: The Final Tally

Back in May, I began a sometimes arduous, sometimes gratifying task of counting my entire collection.  Not worried about absolute accuracy, though I am usually a perfectionist about things like this, I just wanted a rough number of the total cards I have officially in my collection.


Started out in stages.  I was worried about the bulk team collection, but it turned out to not be very tedious after all.  Ran into some other issues that slowed me down for a bit, but I pushed on.  The first report was in:
Total GU & Autos by sport  Baseball 11  Football 586  Hockey 156  Other 5

Total regular cards by sport:

Baseball 59190
Football 32742
Hockey 18117
Other 3742

Grand Total (so far): 114549

The first few posts were called Cardboard Census, but since the bots attack those posts, and I basically forgot about the title after it moved off the page in Blogger, I only updated the counts a couple more times.


Then I went on the six-state tour including the National, and piled up a bunch of stuff I couldn't put away until I was done counting, since what I bought would have added to what was already counted.  Then I also bought the 15 monster box hoard and sifted through that for a couple weeks.  Stay tuned for more about that later, but have your want lists ready!

Finally, this past weekend, I dove in again and finished counting the last part of the largest volume cabinet, the second binder shelf, and both desks that are covered in piles of incoming cards.

So to update the images from the last time:


The baseball cabinet bulk set storage and my player collection binders in the middle went relatively quickly.  I found a couple different techniques to get the numbers, which may appear in another Cardboard OCD post.


The football set binders went really fast, since they were mostly complete base sets.  The top shelf was done in like ten or fifteen minutes.  The Redskin binders took most of that time.  The third shelf is hockey (1889).  The other two binders there are Charlie's Angels, that counts with the non-sports stuff below, and the dead football leagues binder which contributed to the football number from the shelf above.


There were a small number of additions to this group on the sorting desk in the card room.  Not enough to warrant a re-take of the photo, though.  The stuff in the white box is from my latest Chantilly haul and was comprised of all three sports.


The desk in the other room held about twice as much incoming loot.  Sorted by sport, era, and set / team / player collections.  I can't wait to consolidate all this stuff.  That's basically the next phase of work I have to do.


It's all tracked and classified in my handy dandy spreadsheet.  I lumped all the game used, autos (certified and IP), manurelics,  and printing plates into a "hit" count.  Largely because they're not such a priority with me.

So here are my final (update: they are after the next post) numbers.  I'm not intending to keep a running count from here, but I may add in some more starter sets from the hoard, etc. just to keep it honest.  But like I said in the opening, I just wanted to know around what numbers I have.

+29 of my best cards - see next post

226,950 total cards as of Nov. 15 2019

I figured I'd approach 250,000 once I really got started.  Was almost going to be disappointed if I didn't pass 225K.  Not sure why.  The object isn't really to have the most, it's just to get stuff I like.  And I like a LOT of stuff.  This is what you get when you have no real life otherwise.

Now the question is, do I want to know how many cards I have in my house altogether?  Because none of this stuff was part of my totals...

The hoard - minus a few hundred

My bulk extras

Unsorted Redskins and set dupes
 
Spare sets and starters

Nah, I think I can live without knowing that number.  Now the quest begins for clean desk space again!

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is some very impressive work! It took me months to catalog my collection, and I only had about 92,000 - which I've since lost count of because I couldn't keep up with counting new additions.

      Delete
  2. When you're ready to clear a little space with a trade let me know, I've got a few cards put aside for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goal now that I've totaled my Dodger cards is to see how much I have overall. I was waiting until I had inventoried everything on the computer but that will take until I'm 85 so I should just do a visual count like you.

    I don't expect to get to your level -- I don't collect nonbaseball at your rate. Impressive total.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have more than I do. I have a count of 160,000 something, don't remember off the top of my head. But I didn't count the stash of unopened stuff, nor the duplicates. I suspect the dupes may be around 20 thousand cards. Someday I will finish scanning, resort my collection into sets, and then get a precise count.

    I think my numbers are mostly accurate, but for two things...I think I originally only counted traditional sized cards, nothing oversized or undersized. Secondly, there were times I didn't correctly read my own handwriting, or just messed up when I was writing or typing. When I do the major recount eventually I'm going to take the human element out of it, and let Excel do the math. Then I'll just have to remember to update the files after each scanning wave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow good on ya. It is fun to know numbers. I just don't know if I'll ever be at a point I'll tackle that task...and I have nowhere near that number.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was quite the feat you've accomplished. I'll just bow down in envy and accept that I'll never know how many cards I have in my collection. I just don't have the time to count them... and even when I retire in 12 to 15 years... I think my back will be so bad that sitting in one place for that many hours in a day will be unbearable. But kudos to you. That was pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, quite a task and an impressive number. I enjoyed reading your posts. I've thought about doing something like this myself, but I would probably only do estimates as I tallied.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lot of cards! I have so much stuff right now that I longer want (mostly from abandoned vintage set builds), but if I can ever rid of it, I might actually consider doing this, if only to brag about how many cards I was able to get my collection down to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing like a good organization story. Nice work, for sure!

    ReplyDelete