Friday, April 05, 2019

Back 2 Back Show Weekend Part 2: Chantilly

Made another journey Sunday, in the opposite direction from Saturday, to Chantilly for the first of the tri-annual shows at the Dulles Expo Center.  Got there a bit early, so I had to wait outside with a small crowd until they opened the doors.  I arrived at about 9:20, and the doors didn't open 'til 10.  Wouldn't have been so bad since the temp was in the 50's or so, but the wind was up so much that it was pretty chilly.  A lot of people were just in t-shirts and shorts, so there was some shivering going on.  Then they herded us into the ticket window lines, which then crossed over to the entrance door - that didn't open until several minutes later - so the crowd was bottlenecked for a bit too.  Was glad to be inside and finally on the hunt.


My first stop was a dealer that had three or four "tray" boxes of cards in Savers marked at $1 each.  All of the pictured cards were a buck.  There was a Steve Largent with a sticker that said $10, and the Payton RB has one that says $8.  There were plenty of decent 60's and 70's baseball stars, as well as some basketball dumped in there too, but the couple that I got are going to other people, so I won't ruin the surprise.  These '78s are bound for Stuart in Michigan.


I'm gonna jump around the different sports so I can keep the purchases together this time.  The next dealer had a binder that had 40¢ common-ish players and $1 team cards in the '75 minis.  I think I knocked out all but a couple teams from the unmarked wants.


Found another couple football that I'll show in a minute, but then went through the '64 Topps.  Found Marichal for a decent $8.  Then I saw the bargain box in the front of the table.  Usually that's where I start, but this time I ended on a high note with all these high number '64s for one or two dollars a shot or less.  The LL and Fox/Killebrew were nice finds too.


Then I moved over to my favorite insert vendor.  He had some bonus stuff this time that he said had been sitting in a cabinet for a while.  70's football (and baseball) at 3/$1.  The Namath and checklist are from the second dealer, but the rest were 33.3¢ each.  Got some bonus upgrades.  Well, technically, they were cheaper than that, but I'll clarify shortly.


Loaded up on '72s as well.  Nice to get the #1 card LL and some good star names. 


Also checked off the Csonka All-Pro from the $1 group before, and snagged the last four team cards I needed for '74 Topps from the three-fer boxes.


On the baseball side, found a few elusive Stadium Club inserts in on of his showcases, plus Brooks, the last series 1 base card, and (yet another) Bo Jackson '87 Future Star reprint from the annual redundant reprint flagship insert set for this year.  I scanned the interesting part, the back.


Narrowed my International Affairs to only a few of the usual suspects after these.  Tried to shoot the pic so the foil on the names would shine.


Killed a few A&G inserts from this past year from a two row batch that was apparently plopped right in the box fresh from the wrappers.  Every six to ten base cards, there was a random insert.  Lots of Magnificent Moons and World's Greatest Beaches.  But I managed to find my last Baseball Equipment, Fantasy Goldmine, and two World Talents.  Ichiro evaded me right up until the last couple handfuls in the box.  I was like "C'mon Ichiro....c'mon dude, be there....YES!
The minis were actually all the way on the other end of his setup.  Still a long way to go on most of those.


The main part of my purchase from him was this load of Heritage short prints.  Diaz completed my 2016 High Number SP's, but I still have a bunch of the #426+ ones missing.  But the big victory was killing off these 2007, 2009, and 2014 shorties.  Brought '09 and '14 down to the point where I could put names on the remaining ones.  Still a lot of '07 to go.  And of course, I messed one up - who needs Nelson Cruz in '09?

Best part is, my man Barry charged me for these (at about $1.35 each) and threw in the rest of the stuff for free.

The rest being ... all the '70 and '72 football, the '74 checklists, the Ginter inserts, the Stadium Club inserts and the Internationals.  Fer nuttin'...!!!!!


Then I capped it all off with these somewhat off condtion '50 Bowmans that were perfectly acceptable for the price, which was three bucks each.  I don't remember the dealer's name, but he called everyone "Brother".  I'm going back to him next time.

A couple of you will receive mailings from me shortly with stuff I didn't show.

8 comments:

  1. It's amazing how many vintage big names that you were able to get at just one show! And those '64 high numbers?!?! The Bowman's don't look like they're in any sort of off condition, but maybe that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. lots of great vintage, but you definitely saved the best for last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff. Now you know how to card show shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, awesome pickups, Jon! Gotta love knocking off big chunks of the wantlists. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Sorry, I meant Greg (insert embarrassment emoji here).

      Delete
  5. Those 1950 Bowmans are beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cards. You did well hunting. Especially like those first batches of football cards. Good stuff. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. So much great vintage stuff!

    ReplyDelete