Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Dispersing The Hoard #3 - The Method To This Madness

So I'm all set to start with the first row in the first box of the monster hoard.  It's cards from the year 2000.  But I can't decide what is the best way to go about showing you enough about what's in all these boxes, while not making long, boring posts/videos with way too much specific info.  So I'll let you decide.


Method 1: Give a written breakdown of products by years and a general idea of the contents - whether it be base commons, stars, inserts, parallels, serial numbered, or rookies.
2002
Bowman - c. 20 stars
Donruss - c. 40 stars, commons & rookies
    Best Of Fan Club - c. 300 stars, inserts, s/n parallels
    Studio - c. 50 stars and a few inserts

I can tell you now that the vast majority are star cards.  I have already done this in quick written form and can translate it with the occasional illustration.  This is very dry and not real entertaining, though it gives a good reference for later when you want to match up to your want lists.  I may end up posting this in some form either way.


Method 2: Still photos of each product spread out flat to show each kind of card within.


This would be the most complete reference for each product.  You do get to see each name available and all the inserts, etc.  (I know a lot of my lists are by number only, so that makes it tough to tell by a picture like this.)  It would also be the most time consuming method.  That would mean that there would be a couple hundred posts about the whole hoard, if not just the baseball.  I'm willing to do it this way, though if you want to see it.


Method 3: Videos of me sifting through everything in a year or a monster box row.


These would be like the case breaker videos.  I promise I would sift through a bit slower than this.  You would see most of the cards in a short time, but only for a split second.  These would be fun to watch, but not quite as informative for trading.  Plus, I'd have to split them into 30 second segments, or they'd take forever to upload.  30 seconds is around 75MB a file.


Method 4: You just send me your lists for the major sets from 2000 thru 2013.
2004 - small amounts of Bowman, misc. Fleer, Absolute, Prestige, Sweet Spot, Upper Deck, UD Pro Sigs, and other misc. Upper Deck.
     Larger amounts of Donruss (inserts, parallels), Elite (s/n), Leather & Lumber (ins), Studio (ins), WS Heroes (ins, par),  ....

I tell you what sets I have, and you tell me if you need stuff from them.  Then I go check your lists for those sets and we make a trade.  That popcorn you had lined up will have to be used for game highlights and pitbull videos, but you might get some trades going right away.  (Even though a lot of you are trying to cut back).

Keep in mind that I will be trading heavily in your favor when I can.  I am not after equal volume or value with these.  I will also sell, especially to recoup some of the cash I put out for the whole thing (which averages out to about $35 for a whole monster box) so my rates on filling a 400 count box will be quite a bit lower than your average dealer.

So I leave it to you.  What do you want to see?  Do you want to just experience looking through all 9 baseball boxes?  Or would you prefer a more detailed static inventory?  Or a combination of two or more? 

7 comments:

  1. Wow. That. Is... a lot of cards! Good luck deciding what to do. I'd be sorting for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. General idea should suffice I think. Should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd vote for method 4. I'll send you my relevant wantlists. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really have a horse in this race, as I'm not doing any sets, but from what I've seen on the blogs, I think it would be easier to move these if you broke them down by players/teams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should do whatever is least stressful or most enjoyable for you. As for building sets from that era... do you have any 2004 UD Timeless Teams base cards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite sets,...alas, not in this batch.

      Delete
  6. I'm a fan of 2 but this is work, no matter the method. Do what's easiest for you. Look at Fuji, going right for kill. Trying to finish off one of my fave sets when I haven't even begun. Tsk Tsk. 8^P

    ReplyDelete