Wednesday, March 13, 2019

C-Note Challenge

Chris over at The Collector recently posted a scenario based on Beckett's C-Note Challenge where collectors go on an imaginary $100 shopping spree.  After last week's binge shopping, it's not like I need to buy more at this point, so this is more like what I left out...

According to Beckett's guidelines, there should be 5 to 15 cards based on the current month's high book value. Since in reality, that would only allow you about half as many cards (because nobody actually PAYS high book, do they?), I'll use current COMC & eBay prices.

I did a little creative "photoshopping" on the page images so they would fit better here.

First off is a basic vintage card that is not (yet) part of a set build, but just an addition to my star cards.  The '58 Spahnie is just a nice combination of colorful and classic pose.  I have a few Koufax, Mays, Aarons, and Drysdales, etc. still in my star binder, but the only Spahns are those I've collected while building the last few vintage sets I've conquered.  Had to find one that was centered a little to the left to offset the name text being shoved to the right margin - something I hadn't noticed until I was looking for the image below.


Next up, keeping with the vintage theme, another one from the "would just be nice to have one" list.  At some point, I'm probably going in heavy on these Post cards and will try to build a set.  Will just have to decide which one I like better.  Or maybe which one has the more affordable Clemente and Mantle.


Switching to football, but still on the old stuff.  Here's the cheapest of the remaining 1948 Bowman Redskins I need to fill out the team set.  '48 is Washington's first appearance on cardboard.  Adams is actually an upgrade.  None of the rest of the Bowmans I have are graded, but at this price, I'll happily crack it out.  Looks like it's flopping around in there anyway.  Doesn't PSA usually do better with odd sizes?


Moving fifty years forward in time, this silver 1998 Paramount Priest Holmes rookie would knock off one of the two remaining color parallels I need.  The other is Platinum Blue.  It's our first COMC item.


Gotta have something for the space binder!  Was originally looking at the relics from Panini Americana, but this stamp card from Panini Century looks even better and is priced at about half what the swatch cards ran. Would love to meet Gene Kranz in person sometime.

 

And finally, I've got around $20 left, and we've got to leave a few bucks for shipping.  This oversize box topper is from an eclectic mix of historic, sports, and entertainment icons.  I put this one on my list next to the Apollo 11 and Carlton Fisk because ... wow!


Grand Total - $95.96, though I missed the shipping on the Adams Bowman, so I'm probably even closer.

2 comments:

  1. Great list! I like the Spahn and Bo Derek in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny, you're talking about wanting to collect a Post set, just as I'm starting to think I should abandon my post set builds. Also, that Bo Derek is massively overpriced, it's like a $3-4 card max, gotta love some of those COMC sellers!

    ReplyDelete