Friday, March 22, 2019

Collector's Log: Stardate 198205.15

It's spring of '82 and the trading season is in full swing.


Too bad I didn't list the players I added to my collecting list.  It probably wasn't anyone who's rookie year was around '78 or beyond, so that narrows it down a little from the PCs I have now.  I had already established a few guys for sure - Tiant, Torre, Osteen, probably Fregosi and Paul Blair, Jim Palmer, Ollie Brown, George Foster, and Gene Tenace.  It could have been Vida Blue, Cesar Cedeno, Bert Campaneris, Nelson Briles, but I'm just guessing.  I don't have any reference to my player collection list at certain times.  I only know that it peaked out at one point to 81 players. 

I think the '74 Red Sox trading was just for the team set -ish, before I started the full set.

More basketball was referring to actually (attempting) to play, not trading the cards.  Even though I'm 6' 3", lanky and can palm a basketball, I have no other significant hoops skills to this day.  So that was most likely a group of awkward white dudes throwing a ball at a rim.


I'm pretty sure the bus showed up at 7:30 at the top of our street, so I was cuttin' it close that morning.

More trading...Had to look up which Skowron that was.  Almost had to be this one....


Don't think that trade ever came to fruition.


I gotta think I bought this from a dealer too.  Can neither confirm or deny, really.  I remember that seeing the first one of these was really cool.  There had never been cards issued in the same year with players on different teams or new managers, etc. ever before.  I got these in consecutive years after that until 1984.  Unfortunately, I didn't get the Fleer set that year, which has appreciated quite a bit since then.


Still have this one upstairs, I believe, but it's buried in a box in the closet almost as deep as my comic collection is, which I have yet to post about after the first time*. I do remember this cover though.  Figured it was a concept I could get behind.  A pretty decent read if I recall correctly.


Skip ahead a couple weeks to another major collecting event.

Like the Skowron, that Musial was a '62 like this, though not as pristine.


Just this year I came into a significant enough starter lot to at least mark off a number grid for this set.  It won't become a primarly build until I finish '64 and then probably '57, which is going to be at least another year or so.  I've always liked this card of Stan, though and didn't have anything of his up to that point in 1982.


Wouldn't it be nice to only spend ten bucks and get a whole flagship set now?

 
 

This was the time when error cards were all the rage.  So much that they handed them out at the door of the show.  I love junk wax variations, but don't have much motivation to pursue rookie cards that much.  Guess it's all about what you grew up with in your collecting childhood.  This was also the time when I only had one binder and bought sheets as I needed them instead of three boxes every couple months like I do now.

 

Hey, it's a'62 Topps Hot Post!  Torre RC completes the trifecta of wood finished excellence, along with Bonds' full size Rookie Cup trophy.

Next time, more set builds, an unfortunate mishap, school's almost out, and game highlights!

* Leave me a comment if you're interested in comic book posts. 
What kind of things do you want to see?  Video tours through boxes? 
A rundown on my major titles?  The most valuable or most popular
books I have?

4 comments:

  1. I'm new to this series but am enjoying the trip through time. This was probably address in an earlier post but that looks like a Pan Am logo on your calendar.
    Re comic books: For some reason, I find reading about comic books more interesting than reading the actual books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Mantle for your Skowron? That would have been one helluva trade. And that 82D factory set for less than $10 is awesome! Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'd be down to see some old comic books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You already know that I'm down for more comic book posts! A video tour could be interesting, but honestly I don't really care how you show 'em, just as long as you do show 'em :)

    Oh, and 6'3? Lucky!

    ReplyDelete