Friday, March 01, 2019

Penny Sleeves From Out Of This World

Got a return package from Jon at A Penny Sleeve For Your Thoughts this week.  We've got a multi-stage swap going, and this was a great first step!


Expertly packed, and not showing the finery inside....


First off is this Favre card from 2009 Mayo with him in what many would say is the wrong dang uniform.  This completes my set, and opens a spot in my priority want list.


Next is a starter set of Hall Of Famers from SSPC or TCMA or Renata Galasso, depending on the listing.  More well known as the Baseball Immortals, this is a 199-card set of famous and not-so-famous HOF'ers issued in 1980, and updated a few times after that.  Since I'm one card away from the basic set of Hygrade All-Time Greats, this was a logical next set.  This won't be the first starter set Jon bestows on me.


Jon kills another priority want, and a favorite insert set, with the last Heroes of Spaceflight card from 2009 Topps American Heritage Heroes - a non-sport set of presidents, war heroes, astronauts, historic figures, pioneers, scientists, etc.  Gemini 4 was missing when I thought I had finished these the first time.  These are one of the first sets I put in my Space binder.  But wait, there's more!


An amazing contribution to my astronaut collection, Jon also sent this relic from the Shuttle's first commander and the eventual director of Kennedy Space Center.


From Panini's Americana Heroes & Legends in 2012.  This is the 16th relic out of 20.  Flippin' sweet!  I'd consider going for them all, but I bet the Sally Ride is a tough one to find cheap.

Looking forward to the next round, Jon!

4 comments:

  1. Great stuff. You and I have very similar collecting interests. I'm trying to build that Baseball Immortals set too. And I'll add astronaut or space relics to my collection whenever I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome space stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second the Sumo Man...awesome space stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was seeing a bunch of those Americana Astronaut relic cards at shows there for awhile, cheap too, but nobody that I know of was collecting them at the time, so I never picked any up (other than the Crippen). Obviously now if I ever see anymore, I know who will want them :)

    ReplyDelete