Friday, January 24, 2020

Collector's Log: Stardate 198208.26

Resuming the series on my collecting exploits back in 1982.  Except for Christmas, I've been slacking for about six months on these.

Let's pick up the log entries from late in August....


Gaithersburg is about a half hour south towards DC.  I'm trying to recall what shop this might have been.  Might think of it later...


Picked up this fine '56 for my EH player collection.  I have most of my EH cards scanned, but can't find a post showing them all off.  Maybe I never did it....?


Nice to have the original and the Archives copies.  Bonus Yankee box set card at the bottom.  These were joined later by the '55 Bowman and corresponding Archives copy.


I ended up with the entire ROM series - 75 issues.  Not that they're worth much of anything.  There was another series produced later by IDW that I've never seen.  Based on a toy, the comic outlasted the toy by a large margin.


Only have a few Star Wars comics from the 70's.  Now they would have been worth something.  Ah well, story of my (collecting) life.

 

Hard to tell which Kessingers I got this time.  It's not the '68, since that one was obtained just back on the 24th of June.   Must have been a couple somewhere between these two.

I can also only guess as to the Angels I got for my buddy Mike.   Probably from the new crop in 1982, but it couldn't be that many for a lucky buck.


Not a bad daily schedule.  Start and end with creative classes.  In case you can't translate, here's what it means:

1st period - Drawing & Painting - learned from an established local artist. 
2nd - French - My accent was decent, but my vocabulary has all but faded away.
3rd - Algebra II - Mrs. Thomas was a trip.  Did well in math (as far as I went).
4th - Contemporary Issues - My least favorite classes were history and social studies type things.
Lunch - Usually bought what they were serving - which was only one or two choices.  Nowhere near all the options and packaged add-ons they have today.  Probably had those milks in a plastic bag that you stabbed with the pointed straws.
5th - English
6th - Chemistry - with Mrs. Vaughn.  Beehive hairdo and glasses, but she was really cool.
7th - Filmmaking - (8mm and VHS video.  I had this class from 9th grade on, but never became the next Stephen Speilberg.)

"3 Hits" was a game we used to play at the backstop.  You would get up to bat and after three hits, you would rotate out to pitcher or outfield.  Some of us would get our three in ten pitches or less, but sometimes someone would take forever.  Easier than playing a game with only three or four people.


The last note is about an episode of the detective series starring Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers called Hart To Hart.  The show was about two millionaire jet-setters who always managed to find mysteries wherever they went.  Their exploits ran for five seasons, and then eight tv movies.  They still run on the Hallmark channel according to Wikipedia.
The blog 1207 Consecutive Games has a post all about the episode.


3 comments:

  1. So, those plastic bags of milk were like Capri Sun before Capri Sun? Glad to see the return of this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I preferred my first class of the day to be something I could zone out in, social studies (or math, sorry), would be perfect. I hated it when something interesting was first, just because I was so out of it.

    I just looked up '56 Howards for my set!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally! I've been waiting patiently for this next installment.

    Semi fun fact: I was named after Robert Wagner's character on Hart to Hart.

    ReplyDelete