Saturday, February 17, 2018

eBay Mailday - Men In Blue

I've been looking for these for a while now, and was browsing eBay the other night when I saw them for a decent price.  It's the first of three sets of umpire cards from T&M, who you may know from the Senior League set they produced at about the same time.  This set is from 1988.  64 cards in a little boxed set.


It came double-wrapped in cardboard and bagged.  The cards are still sealed in the box.


I'll probably open them up and sheet them since I also won an auction for the '89 set and the special binder they made for that set.  Hopefully it will hold all three.  Haven't seen the 1990 set for a reasonable price yet.


It would probably cost them money since the umps have a union too, but here's an interesting idea for an insert set that you don't see very often, Topps!  Even if you just did the top 20 guys or the crews for the playoffs.  Much better than another series of 50 pictures of the same trendy guys with splashy painted backgrounds.

5 comments:

  1. I didn't know about these. They're awesome, partly because my brain thinks that some of these guys are still working the majors (although they've probably all since retired).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of displaying all three sets in one binder. I'm hoping to one day stumble across all three of these sets at a card show or flea market at a reasonable price, so I can borrow your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe West and Don Denkinger are in there. They're just a bit more grey and wrinkly now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on finding a couple of the sets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look a lot like...whichever year Bowman looked like that. 2010?

    ReplyDelete