Friday, February 02, 2018

Gonna Be A Slow Year

2018 Topps has launched to mixed reviews.  I kinda like the base set design.  The logo sliding boards and name bars are colorful enough, and I don't mind borderless flagship, so it'll do.

The inserts, on the other hand hold none of my interest.  They all seem to be recycled from previous years, without the interesting concepts like First Pitch, Pressed Into Service, or Pride and Perseverence.  All that's left is three or four 50 to 100 card sets of the same star players with some blurb on the back about how great they are.  Even the retail only ones aren't very original.  And why are they still doing old design anniversary tributes when they still put out Archives and Heritage sets?

I'm thinking this year may be my first factory set since about 2005.

So I was pondering the question, "What else will I collect this year?".

Looking over the other pre-releases for this year, there are several choices, but not many stand out to me.

Gypsy Queen - Haven't done this set in a while, even after getting a whole monster box of GQ from the last few years.  Didn't add any sets to my wants from that.
This year's set has gone a step further than last year's departure and doesn't even look that old-timey any more.  A lot of light green and orange in the design.  Not a fan.

Heritage - 1969 is a nice clean design, but is rather generic compared to a lot of the other sets around it.  And Heritage inserts are practically identical every year.  I'll have to pick up the Moon landing Flashback card, but not much more.

Stadium Club - This year's design isn't bad.  I like it better than that last couple.  Last year's looked like an Ultra set from the late 90's/early 2000's.  SClub is a possibilty, but is a much smaller and more expensive set to complete, especially the inserts.  Speaking of the inserts, they have added a couple "classics" to the lineup which I don't recognize.  They aren't even that dynamic a design or concept.  I think they were created by the same vanilla corporate committee that came up with the flagship inserts - put star players on a card with hints of a graphic element and call it an insert.  And then use initials to number them.  Meh.

Finest - I've never collected a Finest set.  I'm waiting for a design I like.  Not happening this year either.

Donruss - I liked 2016 Donruss football a lot.  The baseball sets are rather bland though.  And with no logos and color schemes, it's hard to get excited about Panini baseball.

Diamond Kings - Not horrible looking, so this one is also a possibility.  Totally different than a mainstream current player set though, so it's more like a secondary set to chase.   But again, the contract exclusive prevents them from being all they can be.

Museum Collection - Love Love Loved these in 2015, even though I only actually own a couple Orioles cards from it.  Since the base cards are only 100 and aren't actually shown on the sell sheets I don't have an opinion, but this is a high end product anyway, so it's not that relevant.  I never do high end, but this might be a good time to take a shot.  Downside is, I'd probably pull guys like Yulieski Gurriel, Mark Mulder, and Carson Fulmer in my box.  Nothing bad about those guys, but getting them instead of Gehrig, Harper, Machado, and Bo Jackson, I'd be annoyed.

Opening Day - The same base design with inserts of mascots, players in candid moments, and team traditions.  And only 25 or so inserts per set?  SOLD!  Only 200 cards instead of 350, but who cares?  The other 150 are rookies I don't care about anyway or league leaders that look like plain player cards.  This might be the only boxes I buy this year.

Allen & Ginter - I seem to be following a pattern of collecting A&G in the even years.  Still buttoning up 2014 and 2016, so if 2018 looks good, then sign me up.  Won't know for sure until late in the year.


Final Score:

Probable Buys - Opening Day Hobby Boxes, Regular Factory set (unless I trade for a hand collated set).

Possibilities - Stadium Club, Diamond Kings, Allen & Ginter.

Majority of 2018 card budget - Finishing sets from previous years.  Starting more vintage sets.  Filling in some more hockey and non-sports.

3 comments:

  1. I'll buy blasters of Stadium if I can get my hands on them... and probably a hand collated Archives set on eBay. After that... it'll be straight up singles for me. I love Archives Fan Favorites autographs... and if the Museum Collection autographs look nice, I might add a few hall of famers to my collection this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm leaning toward Topps Bunt this year, but I haven't seen any designs yet.
    Opening day is always a fun break and easy on the pocketbook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, forgot about BUNT!

    ReplyDelete