Saturday, February 29, 2020

Diving Into The Darkness

Quick post today to fill in the empty spot.  I'm a day or so behind my regular posting schedule, but it took me most of the evening yesterday and some this morning to clear my desk so I could start on these:


Four boxes of 2020 Heritage.  The Retail variety.  I checked the ratios of the regular insert cards between Hobby and Retail boxes, and they were exactly the same.  Quite low, I think, compared to a few years ago, but I have yet to research that in depth.  (Stay tuned).  But based on that comparison, I figured I'm only really after a base set and the normal inserts, so all I'm missing out on is the Greatest Moments box toppers and maybe a jersey card.  $55 each instead of $98 is worth the sacrifice.  So I ordered from my favorite vendor near Baltimore on Thursday afternoon, got the shipment notification before I left work that day, and they were waiting for me when I got home Friday.  (Editor's note - they're $59 now.  Six left in stock.  Steel City wants $72 each).

Before I got to open one of them last night, I had to wade through the huge pile of Redskins cards I had amassed since the summer.  I sorted all the 2000's into piles and then went through my Word document list that starts at 2009, and then on to my printed list for the older ones.  Then after confirming that I had checked them all off, I put them in their proper vinyl case.  This morning, I filed away all the duplicates that came out of the horde - seen below in the criss-crossed pile.

Those stacks are mostly dupes except for the hockey.
After the cataloging and filing was done, (sometimes this hobby is real work) I did manage to open one box.  It took me five packs in until I got an insert of any kind.  What I ended up with wasn't bad though.


Actually pulled a gamer!  I can confirme that there are, in fact, Rangers in Heritage, because I got a Joey Gallo game-used.  Any Rangers fans still grumpy about the shunning in Series 1 can trade me for it.

The Clevinger is a Chrome and is for trade too.  I think I was the first comment on the Beckett post announcing the Chromification of A&G and Stadium Club.  I said retro sets and Chrome don't go together.  And I still say it.  Now the Stadium Club Chromes that were in the last couple year's packs were awesome.  I would go for those if they come out at more than four cards in a pack for less than $100 a box.  But I bet it won't happen that way.  Flagship Chrome has always been too pricey for my taste.

Anyway, I'm about to plow through the other three boxes.  Plus, I still really want to start showing what's in the Hoard of monster boxes, I just can't decide how best to do it.  So keep it here for that.

6 comments:

  1. I'd buy retail too. The auto/relic just isn't worth the extra $40. Then again, all I care about the is the base set and high number short prints.

    Good luck with the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heritage relics usually have a nice design but there's no way they are worth the extra $40. I'm waiting to see what else you get (esp. since I'm sitting Heritage out this year - I need to live vicariously though others)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you made a good decision on going retail. I watched a number of hobby breaks and it wasn't uncommon for the breakers to go 4, 5 or 6 packs in a row before they pulled something other than base.

    I totally agree with you about vintage-like sets and chrome. If Topps is looking to stay true to product lines, then they should cancel the chrome for both A&G and Stadium Club. Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't too excited about this set until I saw your four-box haul and now I can't wait to see what's in the other three. I'm also interested in the next installment of your monster box hoard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ordered from Charm City Cards years ago. Didn't realize they were still around. I've bookmarked their site in case I ever get the itch to bust a box.

    Best of luck with the remaining 3 boxes. Hope you're able to build a complete base set and make a nice dent in the insert sets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post. I've been curious to see what the Heritage look like. Can't wait to see what the pull from the other three boxes look like.

    ReplyDelete