Monday, April 06, 2020

Collector's Log: Stardate 198210.13

Still in the midst of the 1982 World Series between the St. Louis Cardinals and Milwaukee Brewers.


I'll do the second day first.  Had to look it up, but those new player collections would have been these guys.  A couple of them didn't last.  A lot of them were Orioles, and I didn't want to player collect most of the team.

Don Baylor, Bobby Grich, Doug DeCinces, Enos Cabell, Mark Belanger, Sparky Lyle, Bob Bailor.  

They all played in the minors in Bluefield, WV at some point.  My father's family is from there.  Who can name a current superstar that also had a stint in Bluefield?

Not sure what I was going by, but Game 2 wasn't actually 4-0 at any point.  It was 3-0 and then 4-4 for a couple innings...


Brewers had a lead until the Cards tied it in the 6th.  The tie lasted for a couple innings until pinch hitter Steve Braun takes the second walk in the inning, this time with the bases loaded, to score George Hendrick - not to be confused with my friend Mike Hernick...


 Man, I'm glad I just collect cards, because I'd have failed at sports reporting.  McGee robbed Gorman Thomas, not Cecil Cooper.  Guess I just defaulted to my favorite Brewer.


 Not a bad haul for a buck sixty:



I left Kessinger out because my original card turned into this many years later at a National.  Really nice dude.


The "other" Mike's brother, Brian, had a medium sized HO train layout in their basement.  He went over to N scale later.  I reaped the benefits of some choice pieces for my own HO setup in the form of a cool diesel switcher (that I can't remember enough about to produce a suitable image) and an engine house that, except for darker doors, was similar to this:


A few days later:



Here's a little video I found in my research by a guy that helped create the opening animations to the Series broadcast.  Must have been a collector too!


Ten days later, the shop visits continued.  (You've seen this one before.)



One of the few cards I ever got for Christmas.  Thanks Grandma & Mom!

2 comments:

  1. These posts are always so fun to read. Looks like you had a pretty good October!

    Also, the Cardinals sure had some great teams throughout the '80s, didn't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool that you documented so many childhood pickups. And I remember following the 82 World Series... but don't remember that McGee catch. Wow. That was awesome!

    PS. Thanks again for the generous PWE!

    ReplyDelete