Saturday, June 08, 2019

Cardboard Census: Part Two ... or maybe Three

When I last updated you about my counting project, it wasn't in an "official" Cardboard Census post.  So this is the second official post, but the third update.  Anyway....

So I finished the wire rack shelf, which included the bulk Redskins in the vinyl cases.  This led to finishing the Redskins except for the two binders that house the sheetable 50's through mid-80's.  Those will come later.


But what it did lead to was the oldest batch, starting with the 1948 Bowmans through the early 50's that don't fit into standard pages.  They are housed in the football cabinet in the lower drawer.  These drawers work really well for storing toploaded cards.  They were originally for silverware, since these are china cabinets.


The early 'Skins live with all my football jersey and autograph cards, both of Washington players and others.  There are also some hockey behind the white dividers in the last row.  I'll show them some time later.  But you want to see some highlights of what's in here, don't you?

Here are the stacks of Bowman Redskins.  1948, 1950, 1951 and 1952.  Yep, #33 is Sammy Baugh.  Not shown is the '52 Baugh I got in July of 2018.




And some of the autographs that I've obtained in person.  Mostly at Chantilly shows.


These I got for only a few dollars.  Kilmer and LeBaron were like $2 each at different shows.  I guess they were IP autos and since they didn't have any concrete assurance of authenticity, they had to go cheap.  I have a few different Charley Taylor autos.


Remember that Darrell Green jersey I picked up last weekend?  Guess what was already in the drawer?  Yep, works out OK, though since I can add the other one to the full set.

I really gotta document my GU & Autos better.


Some other Redskins from more recent times.  They keep getting fancier.


There are also some mojo hits from other teams.  These I pulled myself.  It's so rare and gratifying to pull somebody decent, especially since I don't open a whole lot of stuff.  None of it is high end.



2014 Valor was a fun break.  I got the Jadaveon Clowney and Manziel jerseys, but everything is a Rookie Premiere swatch, so they're not worth much.  The one time I pulled a 1/1, I got this guy.  Was thinking I should just go for the rainbow since he never amounted to a starter in the NFL.


Managed to pull a couple HOF'ers several years back too.


Tucked in the corner of the drawer is my full 42 piece set of 2006 Fleer Showcase Stitches.  I laid 'em all out on the floor so you can see them.  Some decent names in these too.  I probably haven't come close to completing the base set past the first 100, (101-200 are /699, and 201-300 are /199) but I found all these!

OK, so this post devolved into my Football Mojo show, but here are the current counts.  I have now finished the wire rack shelf, and the football cabinet completely.



Total GU & Autos by sport  Baseball 11  Football 586  Hockey 156  Other 5

I added 31 more football GU/autos from the sets in the bottom of the cabinet.  The others stayed the same.

Total regular cards by sport:

Baseball 59190
Football 32742
Hockey 18117
Other 3742

Grand Total (so far): 114549

Now I just have these left to go.  And the binder shelves are almost full since I took this pic.

5 comments:

  1. Your collection is incredible. And it looks fantastic on these shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the drawers of the cabinet. Too cool that they fit in there just so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a big-ass relic set to have completed, congrats! Toploadered cards in silverware drawers is awesome. And that Kilmer auto sure is cool, the price was pretty cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I want to convert my dresser into card storage for my office. I should also try to look for some vintage Bowman too. They're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking cards and collection. Good on ya for being so organized.

    ReplyDelete