Saturday, June 22, 2019

Goals For The 2019 National

Got my tickets to the 2019 National Sports Collectors Convention in Rosemont, IL starting July 31.  (The 31st is the Wednesday night VIP preview.)


I've missed the last couple Nationals, mostly by choice.  Didn't have enough motivation that I really needed to go.  I've been doing so well with trades, shops and local shows, ramping it up at a National would have just been overkill.  But we (including my usual teammate Stuart) have planned to go this time.  (The show returns to Rosemont every other year.)

We get the VIP packages because we usually attend three or four days of the show.  You can't see it all (or at least shop it effectively) in a single day.  Plus, the perks of the lounge area, and the early preview night and admission each day is nice.


The free autograph tickets are good trade fodder sometimes, but I don't usually go for many autographs.  Looking over the guests who are signing this time, I really don't have any prospects that excite me.  There are a couple of my player collection guys who will be there, but I've got their signatures in some form already, and the cost (auto + inscription) - Bruce Sutter ($39+20), Carlton Fisk ($89+25), Lou Piniella ($49+20) - is a bit much.  Piniella is about as high as I'll go, but he doesn't mean enough to me to seek him out.   The VIP freebies don't really have anyone to keep me around after the sales floor opens either.


It is nice to get the promo cards from each company, especially the Fisk for my PC.  I'll end up with two sets this time.  Skipping a couple shows leaves a hole in my Nat card collection, and I have extras that I'd like to trade for some of the missing ones from the last few shows and before.

But my main goal will be cards, of course.  And most likely largely vintage.


If I can find a T205 Mathewson withing a certain range, that'll be the biggest white whale purchase I've ever made, at a National or any show.


I'll probably put a dent in my remaining 1964 Topps wants, but I don't think I'll be able to kill the set.  Still need a whole lot of big names and high numbers.



Would love to find the last two variations of my 1959 set.  Need the ones WITHOUT the "Optioned" or "Traded" lines on the back.

Other than that, my vintage needs are mostly oddball stuff like '77 Cloth Stickers (2), '75 minis, '74 Kellogg's, some upgrades to '77 Topps, and the oddball Baseball Immortals.


I can really kill it in football this time, since I've fallen into completing three consecutive sets at once.  These will be my main targets to slay at the tables.


Plus a few hockey sets too.  Any bulk vintage hockey find would be absolutely epic.  Not that I need a bulk purchase at the moment.

I'm sure I'll find tons for my player collections in all three sports.  Hope I can knock off some of my top wants as well.  Can't wait to dive in!

Are you planning to attend the National?  Would love to meet you there.


8 comments:

  1. Good luck! Never been to a National, but maybe one of these years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck at the National! I had a chance to go about 8 years ago, but a family emergency brought me back home. I was in Chicago and everything. Is it easy to use cash, or do a lot of dealers like credit cards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about 50/50. With the advancement of phone tech, I think more dealers will be able to take cards.

      Delete
  3. I had thoughts about attending this year, but decided to do a baseball trip out west to knock a couple more stadiums off my list instead. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super jealous. Hope you find a few of the items on your list. Not sure I'll ever make it to the National. It's hard for me to justify the travel expenses. My only hope would be if it somehow makes it back out to the West Coast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! I went once in the early 90's and it was nothing like it is now. Still it was a great time. Enjoy and good luck finding the cards you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely going...found a few of your wants (Kelloggs, Topps 205s, UD Mantle and Ruth Heroes, and Chucks Angels!)...want to make a deal in advance so you don't have to search these out in Chicago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Please! Click up top where it says Transmit Email

      Delete