Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Welcome To The First Time Champions Club, St. Louis Blues!


The Blues just joined a growing group of franchises that have finally reached the pinnacle in their sport.  They followed my Capitals who did it just last year.

St. Louis Blues (NHL) 2018-19
Washington Capitals (NHL) 2017-18
Houston Astros (MLB) 2017
Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA) 2015-16
etc.

With a 4 - 1 victory over the Boston Bruins, the Blues get the cup.  They have been waiting as a franchise to win it all for as many years as I've been alive.  Both of us were born in 1967.

A few years ago, as I was watching hockey quite often, I developed a sense about the St. Louis team that if I didn't follow the Capitals, I could become a fan of theirs.  They aren't one of those teams that the networks favor, or who lead the league in revenue streams.  They're a (pardon the pun) blue-collar team even though they're in a more major market.  There are some decent stars in their lineup, but the Penguins, Sharks, Bruins, Flyers, Blackhawks, and even the Capitals tend to overshadow St. Louis in the headlines and highlights.


Part of my inspiration came back then from a game I saw when they played the Red Wings and were wearing their cool third jerseys.  Unfortunately, they stopped using them in 2016 according to my research when finding the above photo.  The game was unforgettable in that the whole time, both teams just fluidly passed and handled the puck.  Back and forth from end to end, it was the most graceful and highly skilled game I'd ever seen.  There weren't many stoppages, just free flowing possessions by both teams.  I don't even remember who won.

Anyway, I'm so happy that the Blues hoisted the Cup tonight.  I don't intensely hate the Bruins, but it's nice to see someone else besides the Boston or New York teams win for a change.  And like I said, I'm kind of a fan....of good hockey, and this team in particular.






5 comments:

  1. I like both teams but I really wanted the Blues to win. I didn't expect them to- Boston at home is tough- but they pulled it off nicely. They also won the first NHL game I ever saw from start to finish, the 2017 Winter Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very happy for both the team and the city of St. Louis. The only press we usually receive is of a more negative nature. The city has been buzzing for the entire playoffs and I'm sure it will erupt this weekend. They sold tickets $10? to watch the away game 7 at the arena (on the big screen) where the Blues play, money going to charity. Sold out, over 18,000 tickets in 20 minutes, so the Cardinals opened Busch Stadium also. I heard that there were over 25,000 people there, again, money going to charity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad the Blues won. Congrats for their first Cup. Boston has plenty of cups they won't miss this one. Nice that another team (like the Caps last year) that has had a disappointment or two in the past finally got to hoist the cup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plenty of great stories behind this team and them finally hoisting the cup. Good on the Blues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was pulling for the Bruins... but gotta admit seeing that little girl have the opportunity to kiss the Stanley Cup brought a smile to my face. Congratulations Blues fans!

    ReplyDelete