Saturday, April 21, 2018

Card Room Renovations Part 1: Deconstruction

(This all happened starting about three weeks ago.  So it's a "retro" look at my renovation project.  I've pretty much got both rooms back together, and just need to clean up some odds and ends.  This is also my 300th total post.)

For a little while now, I've been "at capacity" in the card room.  I've accumulated so many sets, extra singles, Redskins cards, player collection singles, and other stuff that I was running out of storage space.  I was out of box AND binder space, so there were binders with no homes and sets that were languishing in boxes inside full cabinets, with still more on the desk waiting to be packaged.



It's not like I'm going to stop building more sets..or team or player collections...


So the time had come to expand.  I don't really have another room to move to, though I have some of my extras in the adjacent computer room.  So it had to be an increase in the storage limit where they are.

I found a local office furniture store that had a big group of bookshelves at a reasonable price.  I went over on an off day and picked out a couple.  (And told the sales guy I might be back for more).  Managed to get them home and in the house.  And then the real work began.

In the original configuration, my twin china cabinets sat side by side, the one tall bookshelf on the opposite wall, with the sorting desk in between.  Then in the far corner is the metal rack and the half shelf.  Those weren't going anywhere.  But the new shelves weren't going to fit as the room was.


The plan was to move one china cabinet to the other side, and then put the shelves flanking the one that remained.  It was tight, but it was going to work.  Diagrams are not to scale.  (But the crowded effect is realistic.)


First thing I had to do was move the desk out in order to make a path for the  china cabinet to the opposite wall. 


Of course, that involved emptying the contents into the other room.  Not only a drawer full of books and a pile of binders, but the stacks and stacks on top of the desk as well.


Needless to say, normal trading operations ceased for a little while.  (But not the acquisitions!).

So the desk was cleared and removed.


Then the shelf was next to go.  That all got piled on the couch...


...Along with the contents of the football / hockey cabinet, which was then moved to the other wall.


Since I cleared the top of the cabinet to move it, I had the opportunity to fix something that was a little off in the room.  I had my Priest Holmes figures and bobbleheads on top of the baseball cabinet, and my baseball player collection bobbles, oddballs and figures on top of the football/hockey cabinet.  Now they were going to switch to the proper locations.  I would also have to try to move the Priest stuff on the wall behind to the new location as well.  Which means the Redskins stuff would have to come down.  It could actually rotate closer to the wire rack where the cards are, but there isn't as much wall space.  This was an unanticipated aspect of the change.

Next time....Houston we have bookcases!



5 comments:

  1. I absolutely love seeing other people's collection spaces/rooms. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I enjoying seeing other people's collecting space as well.
    I'm in a very similar position as yourself. I'm quite "landlocked" and have no where else to expand to or go. It's all about the storage and I'm thinking about adding another set of book cases as well. I love reorganizing the man room because it gives me an excuse to rummage through everything. Hope you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am actually in the process of doing the same exact thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you've put in some work. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude... this is awesome! I need to follow your lead and do something about my office. Can't wait to see the new bookcases.

    ReplyDelete